Pakistan

UMERKOT – A Christian sanitary worker who allegedly died after doctors refused to treat him until his body was washed had succumbed to venomous gases long before he was brought to the Civil Hospital, an investigation report revealed on Monday.

The main accused has also been exonerated.

Irfan had dived down to clean a manhole on June 1 when he fell unconscious after inhaling poisonous gases trapped inside. His family alleged that the doctors refused to treat him even after several requests by the community members but the doctors left the sweeper in the corner where he allegedly breathed his last.

Pervaiz said that one after another two more men jumped inside to save those trapped, but all fell unconscious due to the same reason.

According to the media reports, The Health Department in its investigation report presented to higher authorities said that Masih had expired before he was brought to the hospital. The report instead held responsible the insufficient security measures employed by the municipality staff, which resulted in the death of one person.

The report did not find any of the doctors responsible for the incident and said that they fully attended to the injured in the incident.