LONDON – British Prime Minister Theresa May has suspended election campaign for the June 8 elections, in the backdrop of Manchester blast, it emerged on Tuesday.
According to Sky News, the general election campaign which was in full swing was being suspended owing to the blast at the end of Ariana Grande concert that left 19 people dead and injured over 50 on Monday night.
May also expressed her grief over the tragic blast and said her thoughts were with the victims and families of those affected.
In a statement, the premier maintained the incident is being treated as an “appalling terrorist attack”.
“We are working to establish the full details of what is being treated by the police as an appalling terrorist attack,” she said early on Tuesday.
Theresa May will also chair a meeting of the Government’s emergency Cobra committee on Tuesday (today).
The blast that rocked Manchester came just days before the Britishers are gearing up for the electoral tussle after May called a snap general election for June 8, last month.
On the other hand, a White House official linked Manchester blast to the 2013 UK terror attack.
Sebastian Gorka suggested on Twitter that the fatal blast in Manchester could be timed with the date of another fatal attack in the U.K. four years ago.
NOTE: Manchester explosion happens on 4th anniversary of the public murder of Fusilier Lee Rigby.
Dates matter to Jihadi terrorists. pic.twitter.com/dRhyaWN9AV
— Sebastian Gorka DrG (@SebGorka) May 23, 2017
Rigby was the British Army soldier stabbed and hacked to death in London in 2013 by two Muslim converts. That attack also happened on May 22.