BEIJING (Online) – A man buried in rubble for about 67 hours after a landslide hit an area of Shenzhen in China, has been pulled out alive.
The landslide, which struck early on Sunday, engulfed more than 30 buildings in an industrial district.
Rescuers pulled out the first body from the rubble on Tuesday. More than 70 people are still missing.
The landslide happened when a huge man-made mound of earth and construction waste collapsed, after heavy rains.
The government has opened an official investigation into the incident, after it emerged that authorities had previously issued warnings about the mound.
The 19-year-old survivor was found around 04:00 local time on Wednesday (20:00 GMT Tuesday) in a buried building. He has been named as Tian Zeming, a migrant worker from Chongqing in south-western China.
Authorities said on Wednesday that he was found in an extremely weak condition in an excavated hole under the building’s roof.
Doctors said he was severely dehydrated and had a crushed leg. Rescuers took about two hours to safely pull him out.