WAHINGTON – Donald Trump’s White House signalled a tougher stance towards Iran on Wednesday, condemning its recent missile test and declaring that America was putting the Islamic republic ‘on notice.’
In his first public remarks after assuming office, National Security Advisor Michael Flynn accused Barack Obama’s administration of having “failed to respond adequately to Tehran’s malign actions.”
The blunt Flynn cited a recent missile test and the actions of Iranian-backed rebels in Yemen as examples of Tehran’s malign behavior.
‘Iran is now feeling emboldened and as of today, we are officially putting Iran on notice,’ he said without unleashing plan for notice.
On the other hand, Chris Sherwood, a Pentagon spokesman, said there had been no change in the US military posture around Iran at this time.
“We stand ready to defend America’s interest and partners around the world,” he reiterated.
Both Trump and Flynn have been opposing the international deal that resulted in Iran curb its nuclear program in return for sanctions relief.
Flynn said Sunday’s missile test was ‘in defiance of UN Security Council Resolution 2231,’ which calls on Iran not to test missiles capable of delivering nuclear weapon.
Donald Trump also took to Twitter slamming Iran after its expanded control.
Iran is rapidly taking over more and more of Iraq even after the U.S. has squandered three trillion dollars there. Obvious long ago!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) February 2, 2017
Iran´s ballistic missile program has been a constant worry for the west although the Islamic country inked an agreement to help ease the tension.
Iran’s Defense Minister Hossein Dehghan on Wednesday confirmed that the Islamic Republic had tested a new missile, adding that the test did not violate Tehran’s nuclear accord with world powers or a U.N. Security Council resolution.
This is the first missile test by Iran after Donald Trump assumed office of U.S. President, while it test-fired several ballistic missiles since the nuclear deal. Trump had said in his election campaign that he would restrict missile programme of Iran.
‘The recent test was in line with our plans and we will not allow foreigners to interfere in our defence affairs,’ Defence Minister Hossein Dehghan said, according to Tasnim news agency.
‘The test did not violate the nuclear deal or the (U.N.) resolution 2231,’ he asserted.
Earlier, Iran’s Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif on Tuesday refused to confirm whether his country recently conducted a missile test, saying the Iranian missile program is not part of the 2015 nuclear deal with world powers.
A U.S. official claimed on Monday that Iran test-fired a medium-range ballistic missile on Sunday and it exploded after travelling 630 miles (1,010 km).