South Korea proposes military talks with North Korea amid growing hostility

  • North Korea has not responded to South so far
  • South's Vice Defence minister said talks could be held on July 21
World

SEOUL – Military talks are likely between South Korea and North Korea, as South has extended an offer to North in this regard, after weeks of test a long-range missile by Pyongyang.

If the talks are held, they would be the first meeting of such kind since 2015, BBC reported.

A senior official suggested that the meeting should be aimed at restricting “all hostile activities that raise military tension” at the shared border between two countries.

Soon after holding office in May, South Korea’s President Moon Jae-in had resolved to engage the North in dialogues in order to establish peace in the region.

On the other hand, North Korea has not responded to the South’s proposal yet.

It is notable that the offer has been extended after the North test-fired its first intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) earlier this month, with claims of achieving the technology to set a nuclear warhead on the missile.

North Korea test-fires ballistic missile amid rising tension

“Talks and cooperation between the two Koreas to ease tension and bring about peace on the Korean peninsula will be instrumental for pushing forth a mutual, virtuous cycle for inter-Korea relations and North Korea’s nuclear problem,” the South’s Unification Minister Cho Myoung-gyon told a news briefing.

South Korea’s Vice Defence Minister Suh Choo-suk talking to media said that meeting could be held at Tongilgak, which was earlier used to hold previous talks.

He said that the talks be held on 21 July, adding: “We expect a positive response from the North.”