Taj Mahal is not a Hindu temple, Indian government to lawyers
AGRA (Web Desk) - India's government has refuted claims by a group of lawyers that the Taj Mahal monument was a Hindu temple.
Culture Minister Mahesh Sharma said the government had not found any evidence to support the claim, the BBC reported.
The Indian lawyers filed a petition in a court last year saying that the monument should be handed over to Hindus.
Six lawyers belonging to the city of Agra, where the monument is located, had told a court there was "substantial evidence" to prove that the famous monument was originally a temple dedicated to the Hindu god Shiva.
They had urged the court to declare the monument a Hindu temple.
The Taj Mahal, a 17C mausoleum built by Mughal emperor Shah Jahan after his wife's death, attracts about 12,000 visitors a day.
The Taj was completed by Shah Jahan in 1653 as a mausoleum for his third and favourite wife, Mumtaz Mahal, who died giving birth to their 14th child.
The monument's complex structure of white marble domes and minarets inlaid with semi-precious stones and carvings is considered the finest example of Mughal art in India.
In 1983, the Taj Mahal became a Unesco World Heritage site and attracts millions of visitors each year.
- Here are complete unofficial results of Senate Election 202109:53 PM | 3 Mar, 2021
- PSL 6 – Peshawar Zalmi fined for slow over-rate in match against ...09:15 PM | 3 Mar, 2021
- PM Imran Khan’s vote for Senate polls was also rejected?09:04 PM | 3 Mar, 2021
- ‘Aik Qaum, Aik Manzil’ – ISPR releases teaser for Pakistan Day ...08:18 PM | 3 Mar, 2021
- PTI govt to lose Abdul Hafeez Shaikh as Pakistan's finance minister ...07:52 PM | 3 Mar, 2021
- Nauheed Cyrusi recreates Piya Basanti as the famous track turns 2007:00 PM | 3 Mar, 2021
- Birthday girl Shraddha Kapoor shows her dance moves at beach party06:13 PM | 3 Mar, 2021
- Anurag Kashyap and Taapsee Pannu face raids over 'tax evasion'05:14 PM | 3 Mar, 2021
- 10 celebrities who are left-handed05:11 PM | 28 Feb, 2021
- Pakistan up three places to 105th spot in EIU's 2020 Democracy Index11:13 AM | 7 Feb, 2021
- 5 famous personalities who were banned from social media06:51 PM | 3 Feb, 2021
- Hollywood's top female celebs who lift weights to stay fit02:36 PM | 22 Jan, 2021