Saudi Arabia sees Gulf’s first confirmed Omicron case
RIYADH – Saudi Arabia Wednesday reported Gulf’s first confirmed case of new variant of coronvirus, Omicron, as a citizen returning from North Africa tested positive for it.
The new variant was first discovered in South Africa earlier this month and it has now spread to various countries in Europe. It has prompted governments around the globe to ban flights from around seven South African countries.
“One case of the Omicron variant has been detected in the kingdom — it was a citizen coming from a North African country,” the Saudi Health Ministry told the state SPA news agency.
“He has been put in isolation, as have his contacts, and the necessary health measures have been taken.”
Last week, Saudi Arabia suspended flights from seven southern African countries, but it continued travel links from North Africa.
Moderna CEO says vaccines likely no match for ... 03:40 PM | 30 Nov, 2021
Existing Covid-19 jabs will struggle against the Omicron variant and it will take months to develop a new shot that ...
- PTI leaders react to Imran Khan’s audio leak about US cipher02:30 PM | 28 Sep, 2022
- US Ambassador Donald Blome attends flag-lowering ceremony at Wagah ...02:05 PM | 28 Sep, 2022
- JS Bank holds medical camps and food distribution in flood affected ...01:32 PM | 28 Sep, 2022
- ‘We just have to play with it’: Imran Khan’s audio leak about ...01:03 PM | 28 Sep, 2022
- Mawra Hocane celebrates her birthday with a fun-filled video12:28 PM | 28 Sep, 2022
- Anil Kapoor sends birthday wishes to Pakistani fashion designer08:52 PM | 27 Sep, 2022
- Malala 'so grateful' to husband for holding her hand and awards09:15 PM | 27 Sep, 2022
- Pakistan, India lose ranking on UN’s human development index07:32 PM | 10 Sep, 2022
- Movies lineup for 2022-23 in Pakistan08:01 PM | 1 Sep, 2022
- Pakistani passport ranked 4th worst on list of 19911:59 PM | 23 Aug, 2022
- Pakistan ranks second worst on gender inequality10:55 PM | 13 Jul, 2022