Saudi Arabia sees Gulf’s first confirmed Omicron case
RIYADH – Saudi Arabia Wednesday reported Gulf’s first confirmed case of new variant of coronvirus, Omicron, as a citizen returning from North Africa tested positive for it.
The new variant was first discovered in South Africa earlier this month and it has now spread to various countries in Europe. It has prompted governments around the globe to ban flights from around seven South African countries.
“One case of the Omicron variant has been detected in the kingdom — it was a citizen coming from a North African country,” the Saudi Health Ministry told the state SPA news agency.
“He has been put in isolation, as have his contacts, and the necessary health measures have been taken.”
Last week, Saudi Arabia suspended flights from seven southern African countries, but it continued travel links from North Africa.
Moderna CEO says vaccines likely no match for ... 03:40 PM | 30 Nov, 2021
Existing Covid-19 jabs will struggle against the Omicron variant and it will take months to develop a new shot that ...
- Islamabad, Moscow in talks for President Putin’s landmark visit to ...10:27 AM | 24 Jan, 2022
- Justice Ayesha Malik takes oath as Pakistan's first-ever woman ...09:52 AM | 24 Jan, 2022
- Pakistan logs 7,195 new infections, 8 deaths as Covid positivity ...09:29 AM | 24 Jan, 2022
- Today's currency exchange rates in Pakistan - Dollar, Euro, Pound, ...09:06 AM | 24 Jan, 2022
- Today's gold rates in Pakistan — 24 January 202208:41 AM | 24 Jan, 2022
- Asim Azhar wishes Merub Ali on her birthday04:19 PM | 23 Jan, 2022
- Mawra Hocane spills the beans on her wedding plans03:00 PM | 23 Jan, 2022
- Hina Altaf’s father passes away08:39 PM | 22 Jan, 2022
- Who has scored most runs in Pakistan Super League? Here’s list of ...01:52 PM | 15 Jan, 2022
- Where does Pakistan stand in world's most powerful passport list in ...11:27 AM | 13 Jan, 2022
- Pakistan’s Top News Moments of 202110:47 PM | 31 Dec, 2021
- Famous Figures We Lost in 202107:03 PM | 31 Dec, 2021