Saudi interior minister to discuss prisoners repatriation on Pakistan visit next week
ISLAMABAD – Saudi Interior Minister Prince Abdulaziz bin Saud bin Naif will reach Islamabad on a day-long visit on February 7 to discuss various matters including release of Pakistani prisoners detained in the kingdom.
The Saudi minister will hold meetings with President Arif Alvi and Prime Minister Imran Khan among other key government and security officials. He will also meet his Pakistani counterpart Sheikh Rasheed Ahmed.
"[Both sides] will discuss important affairs, including the regional situation and the release of Pakistani prisoners in Saudi Arabia," the interior ministry said in a statement.
In end-January, the Saudi Arabia cabinet approved the draft of a prisoner exchange agreement with Pakistan.
Under the agreement, convicted prisoners will be swapped between the two countries, according to the state-run Saudi Press Agency.
The cabinet also approved draft agreements for cooperation against crimes and a document to finalise the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Pakistan on illicit anti-human trafficking and drugs.
The approval for the agreements was granted in the meeting chaired by King Salman bin Abdul Aziz.
In May 2021, former special assistant to the prime minister on overseas Pakistanis Zulfi Bukhari revealed Islamabad and Riyadh had signed a prisoner transfer agreement to repatriate over 2,000 Pakistani prisoners languishing in Saudi Arabia’s jails.
Pakistan accepts India's prisoner swap proposals ... 11:47 PM | 7 Mar, 2018
ISLAMABAD - Pakistan will act upon humanitarian proposals as suggested by India as part of humanitarian gesture with an ...
- Pakistan’s ‘unstoppable' athletes clinch 13 medals at Mount ...01:24 PM | 26 Sep, 2022
- President, PM express grief over martyrdom of Army officers in ...12:18 PM | 26 Sep, 2022
- When is Eid Milad-un Nabi 2022? Here's everything you need to know ...11:52 AM | 26 Sep, 2022
- Leaked audio clips of PM Shehbaz, ministers up for sale on dark web: ...11:24 AM | 26 Sep, 2022
- Sonya Hussyn seen at concert in Toronto after Hum Awards ceremony11:53 PM | 25 Sep, 2022
- Sehar Khan jokes about Faysal Quraishi's bright coloured shirt10:19 PM | 25 Sep, 2022
- 'Are we sick?' asks Ali Zafar in note on moral standards of society09:16 PM | 25 Sep, 2022
- Pakistan, India lose ranking on UN’s human development index07:32 PM | 10 Sep, 2022
- Movies lineup for 2022-23 in Pakistan08:01 PM | 1 Sep, 2022
- Pakistani passport ranked 4th worst on list of 19911:59 PM | 23 Aug, 2022
- Pakistan ranks second worst on gender inequality10:55 PM | 13 Jul, 2022