Islamabad airport's finalised name after years of discussion will leave you slightly underwhelmed
The Federal Cabinet has approved the final name for the new Islamabad Airport in a meeting held at PM Office.
Prime Minister Shahid Khaqan Abbasi, while chairing the cabinet meeting, approved the project’s name as “Islamabad International Airport”.
After repeated delays, the new airport is expected to become operational by April 16, 2018.
The airport is connected to Islamabad via the Kashmir Highway and Rawalpindi via the GT Road and the proposed ring road. A four-lane highway is also under construction to serve cargo traffic. The Islamabad Metrobus is also being expanded to connect the airport.
Once completed, it will be the first greenfield airport in Pakistan as well as the first to be capable of handling the Airbus A380.
Built on an area of 3,571.5 acres (14.45 sq km / 5.58 sq mi), the airport has two runways.
It will be capable of serving 15 million passengers every year in its first phase. Further planned expansions will allow it to serve up to 25 million passengers every year.
The terminal includes 15 gates with ten remote gates, a four-star hotel, duty-free shops, food court and 42 immigration counters. Additionally, Civil Aviation Authority of Pakistan is acquiring 2,833 acres (11.46 sq km / 4.42 sq mi) of land to build a third runway at the airport.
- Nora Fatehi, Jacqueline Fernandez summoned again in money laundering ...11:30 PM | 17 Oct, 2021
- PDM announces anti-government protests over rising inflation, poverty10:01 PM | 17 Oct, 2021
- Hindu extremists force Muslim girl to take off hijab in India (VIDEO)09:36 PM | 17 Oct, 2021
- T20 World Cup 2021 – Bangladesh opt to field first against Scotland07:52 PM | 17 Oct, 2021
- Watch: Trailer of ‘The Batman’ is out now07:42 PM | 17 Oct, 2021
- Ayeza Khan’s new dance video goes viral05:43 PM | 17 Oct, 2021
- Aryan Khan vows to make NCB proud after getting out of jail05:27 PM | 17 Oct, 2021
- Pakistani celebrities who passed away in 202102:00 PM | 17 Oct, 2021
- India falls to 101 in Global Hunger Index 2021, 9 ranks below Pakistan10:54 AM | 16 Oct, 2021
- Celebrity deaths in 202111:59 PM | 12 Oct, 2021
- Hollywood stars with surprising hidden talents07:11 PM | 13 Sep, 2021