Nine schoolchildren killed in Afghanistan mine blast
KABUL - Nine Afghan children were killed on Saturday after a mine exploded when they were going to school in the northeastern province of Takhar.
The blast occurred in Darqad district in the province. Another child was also wounded in the blast, the ministry said.
Darqad has recently witnessed heavy clashes between security forces and the Taliban.
A police official told international media that the district is under the control of Taliban and since an operation was launched to clear the area the militants have planted anti-personnel mines.
He added that one of those mines exploded and left nine schoolgoing children dead.
Civilian casualties have been increasing during this year, despite efforts by the United States and other countries to reach a deal with Taliban.
- Three PTI ministers to probe Broadsheet scandal11:19 PM | 18 Jan, 2021
- KP, Sindh governors call on PM Imran10:20 PM | 18 Jan, 2021
- Why is ‘Imran Khan’ riding a rickshaw in Sialkot? (VIDEO)09:47 PM | 18 Jan, 2021
- Smart lockdown in several areas of Gujranwala, Lahore including DHA, ...09:03 PM | 18 Jan, 2021
- Nora Fatehi 'had fun last night' with Turkish chef Burak in Dubai ...07:29 PM | 18 Jan, 2021
- Mahira Khan recovers from COVID-19 infection, announces return to TV ...04:41 PM | 18 Jan, 2021
- Pakistani actor Huma Nawab loses Rs0.2 million to online scammers04:10 PM | 18 Jan, 2021
- Stars who turned down plastic surgery07:32 PM | 17 Jan, 2021
- Stars who dated in the past11:38 PM | 5 Jan, 2021
- COVID-19 – How many vaccine doses Pakistan and neighbouring ...08:34 PM | 5 Jan, 2021
- 10 women celebs who lent their star power to UN06:50 PM | 5 Jan, 2021