Nine schoolchildren killed in Afghanistan mine blast
KABUL - Nine Afghan children were killed on Saturday after a mine exploded when they were going to school in the northeastern province of Takhar.
The blast occurred in Darqad district in the province. Another child was also wounded in the blast, the ministry said.
Darqad has recently witnessed heavy clashes between security forces and the Taliban.
A police official told international media that the district is under the control of Taliban and since an operation was launched to clear the area the militants have planted anti-personnel mines.
He added that one of those mines exploded and left nine schoolgoing children dead.
Civilian casualties have been increasing during this year, despite efforts by the United States and other countries to reach a deal with Taliban.
- Punjab Govt decides to waive off taxes amounting to Rs 18 billion10:17 AM | 29 Mar, 2020
- Another special plane carrying second lot of medical supplies from ...09:03 AM | 29 Mar, 2020
- COVID19: Pakistan confirms 12 deaths; Coronavirus cases jump to 1,50011:59 PM | 28 Mar, 2020
- COVID-19: Punjab announces Rs10 billion relief package for ...11:49 PM | 28 Mar, 2020
- Coronavirus: Chinese city of Wuhan partially reopens after 2 months ...11:34 PM | 28 Mar, 2020
- Baby Doll singer Kanika Kapoor tested positive for coronavirus03:40 PM | 26 Mar, 2020
- Michael Jackson ‘predicted’ coronavirus-like pandemic: Ex ...03:28 PM | 26 Mar, 2020
- Maya Ali is distributing ration bags among needy over Coronavirus ...03:16 PM | 26 Mar, 2020
- Pakistani student gives birth to baby girl in Wuhan, China04:00 PM | 15 Mar, 2020
- Top 10 most searched people of 2019 in Pakistan06:52 PM | 12 Feb, 2020
- Top five impressive benefits of Orange juice07:14 PM | 6 Feb, 2020
- 8 Reasons to buy HONOR 8 Series04:49 PM | 23 Oct, 2019