TLP protesters lift GT Road blockade, continue sit-in at Wazirabad despite accord to end impasse
LAHORE – The workers of the banned outfit continued their sit-in in Wazirabad even after signing a peace agreement with the government.
Reports in local media quoting sources said life started returning to normalcy on GT Road, one of Asia's oldest and longest major roads, near Wazirabad and in adjourning areas, as the Tehreek-e-Labbaik Pakistan’s removed the blockade and moved to a nearby park.
The party workers after nearly two weeks of protests opened the crucial highway but said it would not call off its protest until the release of detained leader Saad Hussain Rizvi – who was arrested for inciting violence since April.
2nd meeting of the Steering Committee for implementation of agreement with TLP concluded in Lahore.— Ali Muhammad Khan (@Ali_MuhammadPTI) November 1, 2021
Major Decisions taken & Implementation mechanism devised
Results will be seen from tonight.
Sources said the agitators will hold a peaceful sit-in at the nearby park until a concrete development on the implementation of their agreement, particularly the release of Rizvi.
The right-wing banned party and government reached an agreement after a delegation of Islamic scholars including Mufti Muneebur Rehman participated.
Meanwhile, reports claimed that a list of detained activists and workers named in the Fourth Schedule was shared in the steering committee’s meeting, adding that the list has more than 2,000 names whereas the process for their release has been started.
‘Agreement reached’ after successful ... 12:10 PM | 31 Oct, 2021
ISLAMABAD – The talks between the government and the banned Tehreek-e-Labbaik Pakistan have reached a positive ...
The masked details of the agreement – which were not shared with the public by either side – also raised a number of questions in the whole development.
Earlier, the proscribed group’s workers called off their long march to country’s federal capital after the leadership inked an agreement. The government has also formed a steering committee led by State Minister for Parliamentary Affairs Ali Mohammad Khan to make a strategy for the release of the TLP chief and the removal of the ban on religious turned political party.
Protesters didn't demand the expulsion of the French envoy and the closure of embassy: Mufti Muneeb
In a similar development, Mufti Muneebur Rehman on Monday trashed the news about the TLP demand which asked for the expulsion of the French envoy and the closure of the embassy.
Speaking from a presser, the noted scholar said falsehoods were spread on media that TLP demanded the expulsion of the French ambassador, the closure of the embassy, and to break ties with the European Union.
Mufti termed it ‘a blatant lie’, raising questions at ministers. How can we trust government officials when they uttered lies publicly?, he questioned.
Mufti Muneeb clarifies TLP never wanted French ... 12:45 AM | 2 Nov, 2021
ISLAMABAD -- A large number of supporters of the Tehreek-e-Labbaik Pakistan (TLP) remained camped in Wazirabad on ...
Earlier, Mufti who revealed the development in a presser with ministers refused to share contents of the accord, he said the details would be made public at an ‘appropriate time’.
- Pakistan tough team to play in T20 format, says Kiwi skipper ahead of ...02:05 PM | 4 Oct, 2022
- Lifetime disqualification: Pakistan’s top judge terms Article ...12:54 PM | 4 Oct, 2022
- Yamaha increases motorbike prices by up to Rs15,500 (Check new rates ...12:22 PM | 4 Oct, 2022
- Pakistan Army Chief to receive enhanced honour cordon at Pentagon ...11:58 AM | 4 Oct, 2022
- Hareem Shah gets temporary relief from arrest in money laundering case11:05 AM | 4 Oct, 2022
- Asim Azhar to release mashup of two songs with young fan Arshman11:49 PM | 3 Oct, 2022
- Kim Kardashian pays $1.26 million to settle SEC crypto charge09:34 PM | 3 Oct, 2022
- US cipher is a reality, says PTI05:20 PM | 2 Oct, 2022
- Pakistan, India lose ranking on UN’s human development index07:32 PM | 10 Sep, 2022
- Movies lineup for 2022-23 in Pakistan08:01 PM | 1 Sep, 2022
- Pakistani passport ranked 4th worst on list of 19911:59 PM | 23 Aug, 2022