Female Afghan activist protests naked over public lashings of woman on government's order
Public lashings and executions were common under the Taliban, who enforced a strict interpretation of Shariah law from 1996-2001. The Taliban were ousted from power by a US-led coalition and such punishments are now rare.
The footage showed a woman wrapped in a head-to-toe burqa and a man being whipped by a man in a turban wielding a leather whip, watched by a group of men seated in a circle.
The sentencing was backed by the government in Ghor province, where the trial took place.
"They had relations a long time ago but were arrested early this month," a spokesman for governor Seema Jowenda said. "Their punishment is based on Shariah law and will teach others a lesson."
Meanwhile, a female Afghan activist has protested naked against the public lashings of the woman.
— Saleem Javed (@mSaleemJaved) September 2, 2015
- Pakistan Railways cuts train fares by 30pc on Eidul-Adha06:32 PM | 6 Jul, 2022
- Rana Sanaullah says recordings made to expose criminal offences not ...05:44 PM | 6 Jul, 2022
- Dolly’s new TikTok video goes viral03:42 PM | 6 Jul, 2022
- Pakistani celebrities who are performing Hajj 202210:16 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Films releasing in Pakistan on Eidul Adha 202211:51 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Pakistan’s largest city Karachi still among world’s least ...06:26 PM | 23 Jun, 2022
- 42 Pakistani universities make it to Times Higher Education Asia ...07:52 PM | 1 Jun, 2022