13-year-old Geeta awaits Bajrangi Bhaijaan in Karachi
NEW DELHI (Web Desk) - An Indian woman stuck in Pakistan since she accidentally crossed over as a child has drawn attention as a real life example of "Bajrangi bhaijaan," the film starring Salman Khan that has made waves in both countries, NDTV reported Monday.
Foreign minister Sushma Swaraj tweeted this morning on the hearing and speech-impaired 23-year-old, who was given the name "Geeta"by a Pakistani social worker.
I have asked Indian High Commissioner to Pakistan Dr TCA Raghavan to go to Karachi with Mrs Raghavan and meet this girl. @AnsarBurney
— Sushma Swaraj (@SushmaSwaraj) August 3, 2015
Geeta was nine when she crossed into Pakistani territory. Personnel of the Punjab Rangers took her to a social welfare organisation, the Edhi Foundation, in Lahore. She soon moved to a home in Karachi. "For years, we have been trying to locate her family or her hometown," the organisation's Faisal Edhi has been quoted as saying. The organisation has now started a Facebook campaign with the appeal: "Please Help find Geeta's Home. An Indian girl stranded in Pakistan."
Geeta alias Guddy may be from Jharkhand or Telangana in India. Geeta remember no 193 and says she has seven brothers & four sisters.
— Ansar Burney (@AnsarBurney) August 2, 2015
Geeta can just recognise the Indian map but she has not been able to give much more to go on. Officials at her shelter believe she tries to say that her father is from Jharkhand and mother from Telangana. She has also conveyed that she has 11 siblings, including four sisters. Geeta is also known to write "193" repeatedly; officials say it could be her house number.
Efforts of the Ansar Burney Trust is coming closer to find out family of Geeta as number 193 with places Jharkhand & Telangana in India
— Ansar Burney (@AnsarBurney) August 3, 2015
A separate prayer room has been set up at the shelter home with posters of Hindu deities like Ganesha.
Former Pakistan minister and rights activist Ansar Burney, took up Geeta's cause three years ago during a visit to India.
The success of the film 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan', has revived focus on efforts to return Geeta to her home in India.
The Salman Khan movie revolves around a speech-impaired girl from Pakistan who finds herself in India with no way to return home. An Indian man then decides to take her to her family in Pakistan.
- PM Imran congratulates Sri Lankan counterpart Rajapaksa over election ...11:30 PM | 7 Aug, 2020
- Pakistan to resume international flight operations at all airports ...10:57 PM | 7 Aug, 2020
- NAB rejects allegations of striking plea bargain deal with 2 army ...09:23 PM | 7 Aug, 2020
- At least 11 dead as Air India passenger plan skids off runway, splits ...09:10 PM | 7 Aug, 2020
- What do you know about Ravi Riverfront Urban Development Project?08:36 PM | 7 Aug, 2020
- A sneak peek inside Selena Gomez's HBO cooking show05:38 PM | 7 Aug, 2020
- John Wick 5 announced, to film back-to-back with 4th installment05:14 PM | 7 Aug, 2020
- Ever since I was a child I’ve had a sleeping issue: Mahira Khan04:23 PM | 7 Aug, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020