Is applying Kajal or Khol safe for eyes? here's what experts say
Let's go through some of the major concerns related with eye-care, Below are some answers being given by Dr. Radhi Malar, Consultant Ophthalmologist:
1# Can kajal damage our eyes in any way?
It depends, some of the natural kajal is made of natural ingredients like almond oil, castor oil, damask rose, Triphala and camphor they are usually safe. However, an overdose of any of these ingredients can also be harmful. If the kajal is made of any deadly chemical it goes without saying that it can damage your eyes. However, any cosmetic can be dangerous if we use beyond the expiry date.
2# What are the kinds of infections that can be caused due to overuse or misuse of kajal?
Kajal is applied to the meibomian gland situated at the rim of the eyelids and the lids can cause infection which can lead to style, blepharitis – infection of the lids, bacterial conjunctivitis, in rare cases it can also lead to corneal ulcers, allergic conjunctivitis and foreign body sensation which could lead to reddening of eyes, watery eyes, and itching.
3# Can prolonged use of kajal harm the eyes in any way?
If your kajal is loaded with chemicals and you use it repeatedly, apart from the above-mentioned problems it could additionally lead to conjunctivitis due to chemical and toxic overload which is difficult to, treat.
Various kinds of eye allergies, meibomitis, stye and hordeolum or infections of the glands of the eyelids, corneal ulcer – which can potentially lead to blindness, uveitis – certain chemicals in kajal can cause inflammation inside the eye.
Some constituents can increase eye pressure leading to glaucoma, dry eye – regular use of kajal can be associated with scarring of tear or lacrimal glands causing dry eye syndrome and conjunctival discoloration.
4# What precautions should one take to avoid such problems?
Always do a patch test if you are buying a new product. Check the labels for the components, if you see there are any chemicals that could be potentially harmful drop the product from your list. Wash your eyes properly before going to sleep. Avoid overuse of kajal or any cosmetics as they can be harmful.
So, we should be careful while using Makeup and cosmetics as eyes are precious.
- Pakistan’s GrocerApp raises US$5.2m in Series - A funding04:15 PM | 14 Jun, 2021
- Perfect night experience with vivo V21 dual selfie spotlight04:05 PM | 14 Jun, 2021
- Austerity drive: How much amount PM Imran saved in last three years?02:53 PM | 14 Jun, 2021
- Engin Altan aka Ertugrul’s selfie with wife wins the internet02:03 PM | 14 Jun, 2021
- ISPR releases first episode of military reality show ‘60 Hours to ...11:43 PM | 13 Jun, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021
- Famous figures who survived serious plane incidents07:21 PM | 29 May, 2021
- Best anti-aging foods to look younger09:47 PM | 18 May, 2021
- Pakistani FM reaches Turkey on diplomatic mission to highlight ...05:56 PM | 18 May, 2021