Pakistan urges US, Iran to exercise 'maximum restraint'
ISLAMABAD - Pakistan has urged all parties to exercise maximum restraint after tension between Iran and the US aggravated following the killing of a top Iranian commander in an airstrike in Baghdad.
A press release issued by the foreign office states, "Pakistan has viewed with deep concern the recent developments in the Middle East, which seriously threaten peace and stability in the region".
"Respect for sovereignty and territorial integrity are the fundamental principles of the UN Charter, which should be adhered to. It is also important to avoid unilateral actions and use of force."
The parties have been asked to engage constructively to de-escalate the situation, and resolve issues through diplomatic means, in accordance with UN Charter and international law.
Earlier today, General Qasem Soleimani was killed in a United States (US) airstrike in Baghdad. Iranian State television while citing the statement of Revolutionary Guard Statement, confirmed the news that Soleimani was killed in a US airstrike in Baghdad. General Qassim Soleimani was the head of Iran’s Elite Quds Force.
The Pentagon said that US President Donald Trump ordered killing of top Iranian General Qasem Soleimani after a pro-Iranian mob set US embassy on fire in Baghdad. The US declared this killing as “defensive action”.
Qasem Soleimani: US airstrikes kill top Iranian ... 09:46 AM | 3 Jan, 2020
BAGHDAD - Top Iranian General Qasem Soleimani was killed in a United States (US) airstrike in Baghdad on ...
“This strike was aimed at deterring future Iranian attack plans,” said Pentagon in a statement.
According to media reports, Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis, the deputy commander of Iraqi paramilitary group Hashd Shaabi, was also killed in the US Air-Strike.
- PM Khan terms change in UK travel advice great news for Pakistan11:29 PM | 24 Jan, 2020
- A Smartphone that Brings Affordability & Reliability for Everyone – ...10:55 PM | 24 Jan, 2020
- PTI rejects Transparency International's 'biased' report about ...07:17 PM | 24 Jan, 2020
- UNODC, Interior Ministry launch technical assistance framework07:02 PM | 24 Jan, 2020
- UK changes its travel advice to reflect improved security situation ...06:15 PM | 24 Jan, 2020
- #MeToo: 'Harvey Weinstein raped me', Annabella Sciorra testifies in ...04:08 PM | 24 Jan, 2020
- Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy meets Deepika Padukone at World Economic Forum03:29 PM | 24 Jan, 2020
- I don’t even think I should be alive: Justin Bieber gives emotional ...02:46 PM | 24 Jan, 2020
- OGRA recommends hike in petroleum prices for January 202006:54 PM | 30 Dec, 2019
- Pakistan asks UNMOGIP to brief UNSC on Kashmir situation07:21 PM | 29 Dec, 2019
- 2020 will be year of development, prosperity: Firdous04:01 PM | 28 Dec, 2019
- Zameen.com launches new Plot Finder tool to facilitate online plot ...07:25 PM | 22 Nov, 2019