I didn’t know anything: Messi tells tax fraud trial
BARCELONA (Web Desk) - Soccer wizard Lionel Messi appeared in court in Barcelona for the first time on Thursday, accompanied by his father , Jorge Horacio, to respond to charges of tax evasion leveled against him.
During the proceedings, he pleaded innocence, saying that he did not know anything.
"I trusted my dad and my lawyers," Messi added.
"All I knew was that we signed agreements with certain sponsors, for some amount of money and that I had to do adverts, photos; but about the money and where it went I knew nothing," Messi told the court.
Messi's father vindicated his son by confirming that he had dealt with the star footballers financial matters.
According to the details, the two are accused of using a chain of fake companies to avoid paying taxes on 4.16 million euros ($4.6 million) of Messi’s income.
The Barcelona forward and his defense team have long argued that Messi’s father handled the footballer’s finances without reporting to him.
Spanish prosecutors are seeking a jail sentence of 22-and-a-half months for them if they are found guilty, plus fines equivalent to the amount that was allegedly defrauded.
It is pertinent to mention that Messi and his father made a voluntary payment of 5.0 million euros ($5.6 million)– equal to the amount of the alleged unpaid taxes plus interest in 2013.
To catch a glimpse of Messi, onlookers and photographers lined up in a huge number outside the court. Many of his fans jeered though some slammed him for his alleged involvement in tax fraud.
- Imran Ghazali appointed as head of information ministry’s digital ...11:46 PM | 3 Aug, 2020
- Afghan President Ghani phones PM Imran, discusses peace talks, ...09:34 PM | 3 Aug, 2020
- Three arrested in Faisalabad for displaying weapons on social media ...08:19 PM | 3 Aug, 2020
- Punjab govt to celebrate Tiger Force Day on Aug 907:38 PM | 3 Aug, 2020
- Trump gives 45 days to Microsoft for acquiring TikTok07:21 PM | 3 Aug, 2020
- Nothing Like Everything: Ayyan Ali announces first-ever music album04:56 PM | 3 Aug, 2020
- Filmmakers around the world take to part in Iran’s Resistance Film ...10:27 AM | 3 Aug, 2020
- Hamza Ali Abbasi, Naimal Khawar Khan blessed with a baby boy12:37 PM | 3 Aug, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020