PSL 2019: Quetta Gladiators beat Islamabad United in last match at Abu Dhabi
Gladiators set a target of 181 runs against United and defended it.
Quetta was put to bat after Islamabad United won the toss - a decision which apparently did not pay off considering the tally set by the team.
Opener Ahmad Shehzad scored 73 off 46 balls while middle-order Umar Akmal contributed 27 off 17. On the other hand, Faheem Ashraf picked four wickets, Ammad Butt three, Samit Patel and Zafar Gauhar bagged one each.
Opener @iamAhmadshahzad struck a solid half century and leg-spinner @bachaji23 took three crucial wickets to guide @TeamQuetta to a convincing 43-run win over Islamabad United in the last match of the UAE-leg of the #HBLPSL 2019.— PakistanSuperLeague (@thePSLt20) March 6, 2019
#QGvIU Match Report 👇 https://t.co/v4n5Wle5IH pic.twitter.com/vMsknrLkbF
While chasing a decent target of 181, Islamabad United could score 137/9 in 20 overs as Quetta's bowlers brilliantly restricted them to record a 43 runs victory.
Gladiators sealed their place in the top two with a crushing 43-run victory over United, leaving the scrap for the final two qualification places wide open.
It was a hard fought battle by our #Sherus but Gladiators won it in the end. We will bounce back in our next game. Time to head back to Pakistan 🇵🇰 now for our next match!#UnitedWeWin #QGvIU pic.twitter.com/9NReUwR3CF— Islamabad United (@IsbUnited) March 5, 2019
Islamabad United's encounter against Quetta was the last match of the PSL4 at Abu Dhabi and also in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) as the remaining matches are shifted to Pakistan.
All the remaining matches, including the Qualifier/Eliminator and the Final, will be played in Karachi.
Quetta Gladiators are on the top of the table at the moment with 12 points and a net run rate of 0.199, while Islamabad United are placed third with eight points and an NRR of 0.12.
Both have so far played eight matches each. Quetta have won six and lost two while Islamabad have won four and lost as many matches.
Their previous clash was held at Dubai on Feb 17 when Quetta thrashed Islamabad by seven wickets.
The highest totals by the two teams are - 186/5 by Quetta Gladiators (vs Karachi Kings at Sharjah on Feb 24) and 177/5 by Islamabad United (vs Lahore Qalandars at Dubai on Feb 14).
Quetta Gladiators: Shane Watson, Ahmed Shehzad, Rilee Rossouw, Umar Akmal, Sarfraz Ahmed, Dwayne Smith, Mohammad Nawaz, Ghulam Mudassar, Sohail Tanvir, Mohammad Irfan, Fawad Ahmed, Ahsan Ali, Anwar Ali, Mohammad Asghar, Saud Shakeel
Islamabad United: Sahibzada Farhan, Luke Ronchi, Waqas Maqsood, Asif Ali, Hussain Talat, Rizwan Hussain, CS Delport, Faheem Ashraf, PD Salt, Shadab Khan, SR Patel, IR Bell, Muhammad Muss, Rumman Raees, WD Parnell
- Pakistan’s ‘best bank' denies trans rights activist an account ...11:52 PM | 16 Jan, 2021
- Pakistan Air Force chief meets Turkish defence industries head11:22 PM | 16 Jan, 2021
- WATCH – Woman accusing Babar Azam of sexual abuse says video of her ...11:08 PM | 16 Jan, 2021
- Punjab CM Buzdar lays foundation stone of Sheikhupura-Gujranwala road10:45 PM | 16 Jan, 2021
- US threatens India with sanctions over purchase of Russian S-400 air ...10:39 PM | 16 Jan, 2021
- Selena Gomez shares the reason behind calling out Mark Zuckerberg ...07:32 PM | 16 Jan, 2021
- Ayeza Khan celebrates 30th birthday04:22 PM | 16 Jan, 2021
- Details of Varun Dhawan-Natasha Dalal's wedding revealed03:58 PM | 16 Jan, 2021
- Stars who dated in the past11:38 PM | 5 Jan, 2021
- COVID-19 – How many vaccine doses Pakistan and neighbouring ...08:34 PM | 5 Jan, 2021
- 10 women celebs who lent their star power to UN06:50 PM | 5 Jan, 2021
- #2020InReview – Pakistan's initiatives in the year 202010:55 PM | 4 Jan, 2021