Former chief secretaries deplore criticism directed at DMG, PAS officers over police reforms
The meeting took exception to the fierce criticism of retired Police officers against the civil servants of Pakistan Administrative Service/ District Management Group Cadre, which is being transmitted through the media, electronic media in particular.
The participants agreed that it was highly undesirable and unsavory to pit one occupational group against the others in a bid to thwart the policy process meant to address some serious issues of law and order.
"Addressing issues of public importance through the process of Public Policy Formulation is the prerogative of the government and civil servants are required to contribute to the process through their professional expertise and experience," said a press release issued by the body.
The officers were of the opinion that utmost scrutiny is carried out while formulating policies and targeting the civil servants for the intervention of the government is highly deplorable.
"The Police Order 2002 was promulgated by the government and its amendments would also be incorporated by the government from time to time," the participants agreed.
The officers opined that neither any civil servant could dishonestly make any move suiting his service interests nor would any senior echelon of the government allow anyone to make any such attempt.
The committee members urged that voids existing regarding the accountability mechanism in the system of Policing ought to be addressed without any delay, as they spring from the public concern.
They stated unanimously that public Servants of any Cadre, under no circumstances, should act as a Pressure Group as they are required to discharge their assigned duties efficiently under the Civil Servants Act and to protect the public interest and not their personal or group interests.
*Retired Chief Secretaries Committee is a think tank established to carry out research in the area of Public Policy.
- Indian lover crashes ex-girlfriend's wedding ceremony in viral video11:03 PM | 8 Dec, 2021
- Babar Azam-led Pakistan make Test cricket history in Bangladesh10:26 PM | 8 Dec, 2021
- Pakistan’s naval, air chiefs condole death of India’s top general ...09:27 PM | 8 Dec, 2021
- Rohit Sharma repalces Virat Kohli as India’s ODI captain09:07 PM | 8 Dec, 2021
- Pakistani stars condemn Faisalabad incident08:42 PM | 8 Dec, 2021
- Pakistani filmmaker Samar Khan's 'Out Swing' wins at Sport Film ...05:30 PM | 8 Dec, 2021
- Kareena Kapoor and Aryan Khan among most searched celebrities in India03:00 PM | 8 Dec, 2021