In rare address, Queen Elizabeth says UK 'we will succeed' in fight
Amid lockdown and anxieties over the spread of the coronavirus in Britain and around the world, Queen Elizabeth addressed the nation and called on the U.K. to "remain united and resolute" in the face of the challenges resulting from the pandemic.
The queen acknowledged the grief and financial crisis that Britons are facing while also expressing gratitude towards health workers for their service and others for staying home.
"Together we are tackling this disease and I want to reassure you that if we remain united and resolute, then we will overcome it," she said.
"I hope in the years to come, everyone will be able to take pride in how they responded to this challenge," she said, "and those who come after us will say the Britons of this generation were as strong as any."
"Today, once again, many will feel a painful sense of separation from their loved ones," the queen said. "But now, as then, we know deep down that it is the right thing to do."
According to BBC, the speech was recorded in the White Drawing Room at Windsor Castle by a single cameraman wearing protective gear, while all other technical staff stayed in another room.
The queen concluded her speech by saying the country will prosper.
"And that success will belong to every one of us. We should take comfort that while we may have more still to endure, better days will return. We will be with our friends again. We will be with our families again. We will meet again. But for now, I send my thanks and warmest good wishes to you all."
The Queen rarely addresses the country, typically speaking to the nation only at Christmastime and when a new Parliament is appointed.
Have more to add to the story? Comment below and stay tuned for more!
- Coronavirus cases soar above 6 million worldwide11:28 PM | 30 May, 2020
- Latest pics of Nawaz Sharif, having coffee in London, take Twitter by ...09:57 PM | 30 May, 2020
- Pakistan makes face masks mandatory amid record daily deaths from ...09:07 PM | 30 May, 2020
- PAF officer, who died in PIA plane crash, laid to rest in Karachi08:19 PM | 30 May, 2020
- First Covid-19 death reported among KP nurses07:20 PM | 30 May, 2020
- Zaira Wasim deactivates social media accounts over trolling03:41 PM | 30 May, 2020
- Grammy-winning artists from 7 countries collaborate for a Pakistani ...05:16 PM | 29 May, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020