Malinga steps down as Sri Lanka captain ahead of World T20
Malinga, who led Sri Lanka to their maiden World T20 title in the 2014 edition, is battling a nagging knee injury.
All-rounder Angelo Mathews, who leads Sri Lanka in ODIs and Tests, will now be the team’s captain in all three formats, Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC), the Hindustan Times reported.
SLC Vice President Mohan de Silva said Malinga had written to the SLC on Sunday night offering to step down. “He will continue to make himself available for selections,” de Silva said.
It is speculated that the SLC management is unhappy with Malinga’s policy of selecting games and tournaments to play based on his recurring injury. He played only the opening match of the Asia Cup in which Sri Lanka fared very badly.
The islanders eventually crashed out of the tournament losing to India, Pakistan and Bangladesh in what was their worst run in T20 history.
- Security forces arrest five TTP terrorists in Sindh11:02 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- TLP protests – Sheikh Rasheed arrives in Lahore for third round of ...10:30 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- PAKvZIM – Pakistan team practice in Harare ahead of first T2010:18 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- China establishes world's largest 5G mobile network09:38 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- Amir Liaquat's Nagin dance video goes viral06:19 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- Alia Bhatt comments on Pakistani rapper-comedian's latest video05:57 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- Ali Azmat tests positive for COVID-1904:15 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- Pakistani passport still fourth-worst for international travel in 202110:31 AM | 17 Apr, 2021
- Ramadan 2021: Pakistan issues new guidelines to stem third Covid wave12:15 PM | 14 Apr, 2021
- Ten Stars who were Student Athletes04:30 PM | 13 Apr, 2021
- Celebrities photoshopped with their younger selves11:41 AM | 9 Apr, 2021