Disney to reboot Home Alone, Night at the Museum
LOS ANGELES - Disney is rebooting "Home Alone" and "Night at the Museum" for its new TV streaming service, which launches in the US in November and is intended to rival Netflix.
The beloved and high-grossing film franchises were acquired by Disney during its takeover of 21st Century Fox.
Chief executive Bob Iger said Disney was "focused on leveraging Fox´s vast library of great titles... for example reimagining ´Home Alone,´ ´Night at the Museum,´ ´Cheaper by the Dozen,´ and ´Diary of a Wimpy Kid´ for a new generation on Disney+."
"Nothing is more important to us than getting this right," he added in an earnings call Tuesday. He did not clarify whether the new versions would be feature films or television programs.
The three "Home Alone" films that received theatrical releases together grossed $914.8 million at the global box office, not adjusted for inflation.
No casting details have been announced for the remake. Macauley Caulkin, who as a child actor starred in the original, tweeted Wednesday: "Hey @Disney, call me!"
Ben Stiller´s "Night at the Museum" trilogy, about a museum security guard trying to keep track of exhibits that come to life, has grossed over $1.35 billion worldwide.
Both movie franchises will be part of the Disney+ service´s original content in a crowded TV streaming marketplace soon to feature HBO Max, Apple and NBCUniversal platforms as well as Amazon Prime.
Disney also owns Marvel Studios, which recently unveiled a slate of new superhero films and TV shows that will share characters and plotlines, blurring the line between the media.
After launching in the US on November 12 at a starting price of $6.99 monthly, Disney+ will gradually expand internationally with a start in Europe, Iger said.
It will launch with 300 movies including its "Star Wars," Pixar and Marvel titles.
- ADB president calls on PM Imran in Davos04:10 PM | 22 Jan, 2020
- CEOs YouTube, Siemens call on PM Imran04:08 PM | 22 Jan, 2020
- Bismah excited to lead Pakistan in ICC Women’s T20 WC03:50 PM | 22 Jan, 2020
- UBG congratulates Anjum Nisar for becoming president of FPCCI03:44 PM | 22 Jan, 2020
- President Trump to visit Pakistan soon: FM Qureshi03:41 PM | 22 Jan, 2020
- HBO Max orders royal family comedy ‘The Prince’02:55 PM | 22 Jan, 2020
- Mahira Khan asks Shireen Mazari for an update on the Zainab bill02:39 PM | 22 Jan, 2020
- OGRA recommends hike in petroleum prices for January 202006:54 PM | 30 Dec, 2019
- Pakistan asks UNMOGIP to brief UNSC on Kashmir situation07:21 PM | 29 Dec, 2019
- 2020 will be year of development, prosperity: Firdous04:01 PM | 28 Dec, 2019
- Zameen.com launches new Plot Finder tool to facilitate online plot ...07:25 PM | 22 Nov, 2019