#JusticeForZahra: Pakistani journalist arrested over wife’s murder
RAWALPINDI – A Pakistani journalist has been detained by Punjab police over the murder of his wife.
Ali Salman Alvi, who was arrested on Wednesday after a First Information Report (FIR) was registered against him with Rawalpindi’s Airport Police Station, has been charged with abetment under Section 109 of the CrPc in the murder case of Sadaf Zahra.
According to the FIR, “the deceased was found with marks on her hand and face,” along-with the one on her neck, which became the cause of the death.
The report narrates the account of Syeda Mehwish Zehra, the deceased’s sister, that she found her sister’s body hanging from the ceiling fan at the scene of the death.
The complainant told the police that she received a call from Ali Salman Alvi, asking her to come immediately to their house as “Sadaf had done something to herself.” She said that Alvi had used her sister’s mobile phone to call her.
Mehwish maintained that Alvi used to physically abuse her sister, adding he also resorted several times to beating her. “We had told him to abstain from this, but he would continue to torture her.”
The complainant was “absolutely sure that he [Alvi] was behind the murder.”
Police, in a statement, said that “the case is being investigated thoroughly, and evidence being closely analyzed.” Rawalpindi Police have "time and again" exhibited our absolute zero tolerance against abuse on women & children, it added.
Meanwhile today, #JusticeForZahra remained the top trend on Twitter in Pakistan.
- Pakistan vs England, first Test: PCB announces squad for Old Trafford ...04:11 PM | 4 Aug, 2020
- India sees over 50,000 virus cases for 6th straight day03:20 PM | 4 Aug, 2020
- Pakistan pays tribute to fallen heroes on Police Martyrs' Day02:52 PM | 4 Aug, 2020
- Netflix confirms season 5 of Money Heist02:21 PM | 4 Aug, 2020
- #MeToo: Ayesha Omar opens up about sexual harassment with Rose McGowan01:30 PM | 4 Aug, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020