Time for "China threat theory" laid to rest: FM Wang Yi
Those who do not have bias or practice double standards will see China's development as an opportunity instead of a threat, Wang told a press conference on the sidelines of the national legislature's annual session, Xinhua reported.
"As China grows, the 'China collapse theory' has collapsed and become an international laughing stock. Meanwhile, the 'China threat theory' with its various sensational versions is losing the market," he said.
Citing facts in the past years, Wang said for years China has been the leading contributor to global economic growth at more than 30 percent. "China's contribution is bigger than that of the United States, Japan and eurozone combined."
China is on a long march to modernization and it has no need or intention to replace the United States' international role, Yi said. "Some Americans allege that China will replace America's role in the world. This conclusion is fundamentally wrong," he added.
On trade frictions between the two countries, Wang said that trade war is never the right solution, as it will harm both the initiator as well as the target country in a globalized world.
"In the event of a trade war, China will make a justified and necessary response," Wang said. "We hope China and the US will have a calm and constructive dialogue as equals and find a win-win solution."
Despite elements of competition, China-US ties are defined more by partnership, not rivalry, he added.
Citing the latest poll, Wang said over 50 percent of the American people have a favorable view of China and the figure has been rising steadily in recent years.
"I hope people will not focus just on the problems of US-China relations, but also pay attention to the positive aspects," he said.
China accounts for more than 70 percent of poverty reduction worldwide, a miracle in human history.
"As the largest contributor of peace-keeping personnel among the permanent members of the UN Security Council and the second largest contributor to the UN peacekeeping budget, China is bearing a weighty responsibility for maintaining world peace," he continued.
In the past five years, with its Belt and Road Initiative and other major proposals, China has come to the fore in championing global governance, free trade, and an open global economy, Wang said.
China's anti-poverty drive lifted 37,000 people ... 12:20 AM | 7 Mar, 2018
BEIJING - China lifted 37,000 people above the poverty line every day in the past five years in what is being described ...
- Aamir Liaquat faces police complaint over lashing out at traffic cop ...10:55 AM | 3 Aug, 2021
- Turkey imposes 10-day mandatory quarantine for travellers from ...10:14 AM | 3 Aug, 2021
- Today's currency exchange rates in Pakistan - Dollar, Euro, Pound, ...09:15 AM | 3 Aug, 2021
- Covid-19: Pakistan reports 3,582 new infections, 67 deaths09:10 AM | 3 Aug, 2021
- Today's gold rates in Pakistan — 03 August 202108:46 AM | 3 Aug, 2021
- Falak takes Sarah on shopping spree (VIDEO)09:00 PM | 2 Aug, 2021
- Prince Charming - Mahira Khan's first look from upcoming webseries ...05:50 PM | 2 Aug, 2021
- Sharmila Faruqui lashes out at Ayeza Khan’s controversial scene ...05:21 PM | 2 Aug, 2021
- Stars who used apps to find love08:02 PM | 24 Jul, 2021
- World’s most powerful passports in 2021: Where does Pakistan stand?03:35 PM | 7 Jul, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021
- Famous figures who survived serious plane incidents07:21 PM | 29 May, 2021