Two shot dead as gunmen target Germany on Yom Kippur
Police said several shots were fired in the Paulus quarter north of the city centre around midday on Wednesday, confirming that one suspect had been arrested; the law enforcers did not reveal the identity of the suspect.
The victims include a woman and a man, the identities of which have not been released as well.
Unsere Kräfte haben eine Person festgenommen.— Polizei Halle (Saale) (@Polizei_HAL) October 9, 2019
Bleiben Sie trotzdem weiterhin wachsam.
Wir sind mit starken Kräften in und um #Halle präsent und stabilisieren die Lage, bis alle Informationen gesichert vorliegen.#hal0910
“We remain alert, however. We have deployed forces in and around Halle and are trying to stabilise the situation until we have all the relevant information,” police shared.
Talking to Spiegel magazine, Max Privorotzki, head of the Jewish community in Halle, told that the killer wearing military uniform tried to enter the synagogue but was resisted by security personal.
There were almost 80 people in the synagogue and according to Spiegel, the two attackers had separated after the initial attack and one of them was later arrested by security forces on highway after hijacking a taxi.
German Chancellor Angela Merkel's spokesman, Steffen Seibert, told newsmen during a regular government press conference, "This is terrible news from Halle, and I hope very much that the police catch the perpetrator, or perpetrators, as quickly as possible."
Moreover, António Guterres, the UN Secretary-General, strongly condemned the incident, according to a statement given through his deputy spokesman.
He regards this as "yet another tragic demonstration of anti-Semitism — perpetrated on the holy day of Yom Kippur — which needs to be fought with the utmost determination."
- Masoumeh Ebtekar: Iran's vice president infected by coronavirus11:54 PM | 27 Feb, 2020
- Hadi Khosrowshahi: Iran's ex-ambassador to Vatican dies of coronavirus11:47 PM | 27 Feb, 2020
- Coronavirus: Pakistan's Aviation division establishes emergency ...11:36 PM | 27 Feb, 2020
- Pakistan, Qatar agree to further enhance economic cooperation11:19 PM | 27 Feb, 2020
- Pink Floyd: PM Imran tweets Roger Waters’ video criticising ...11:10 PM | 27 Feb, 2020
- TikTok is cancer, says Feroze Khan03:05 PM | 27 Feb, 2020
- Celebrities speak out against the brutal treatment of Muslims in Delhi02:41 PM | 27 Feb, 2020
- ‘Ehd-e-Wafa’ makers planning to air finale in cinemas02:15 PM | 27 Feb, 2020
- Top 10 most searched people of 2019 in Pakistan06:52 PM | 12 Feb, 2020
- Top five impressive benefits of Orange juice07:14 PM | 6 Feb, 2020
- 8 Reasons to buy HONOR 8 Series04:49 PM | 23 Oct, 2019
- Meet members of Pakistan’s first-ever National Youth Council05:05 PM | 1 Jul, 2019