First ever death penalty for blasphemy on social media in Pakistan
BAHWALPUR - An Anti-Terrorism Court (ATC) on Saturday sentenced a man to death for sharing offensive content about Islam on social media, in a first ever penalty over online blasphemy.
Bahawalpur's ATC Judge Shabir Ahmed announced the sentence for the 30-year-old accused, who belongs to the Shia community, the Dawn reported.
The accused, who hails from Lahore, had allegedly posted derogatory content about prominent Sunni religious figures and wives of the Holy Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) on Facebook.
He was arrested last year from Bahawalpur by the Counter Terrorism Department (CTD).
Who were Salmaan Taseer and Mumtaz Qadri? 03:23 PM | 29 Feb, 2016
ISLAMABAD - Pakistan has hanged the former police bodyguard who shot dead Punjab's governor over his opposition to the ...
Pakistan is cracking down against blasphemy related crimes on social media with the Interior Minister Chaudhry Nisar threatening to block all social media websites with 'blasphemous content' earlier this year.
This is the harshest sentence among other cyber-crime related punishments handed down so far in the country.
Blasphemy has been a contentious issue in the country where people have been murdered over allegations of blasphemy. Earlier this year, a mob in Abdul Wali Khan University Mardan beat up a student, Mashal Khan, to death after accusing him of blasphemy over social media.
No evidence of blasphemy found against Mashal ... 02:00 PM | 17 Apr, 2017
PESHAWAR - IGP Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Salahuddin Mehsud confirmed on Monday that no evidence could be found against Mashal ...
Under Pakistan’s harsh blasphemy laws, anyone accused of insulting God, Islam or other religious personalities can be sentenced to death.
- US formally ends combat mission in Iraq after 18 years01:20 PM | 27 Jul, 2021
- All 'unnecessary movement' restricted in Karachi after 6pm as Covid ...12:47 PM | 27 Jul, 2021
- Pakistan amicably repatriates 46 Afghan soldiers who crossed border ...12:24 PM | 27 Jul, 2021
- Pakistan to receive 4.2mn doses of Chinese Covid vaccines today11:43 AM | 27 Jul, 2021
- Pakistan's first-ever ‘Nishan-e-Haider’ recipient Capt. Sarwar ...11:21 AM | 27 Jul, 2021
- Jennifer Lopez celebrates 52nd birthday with Ben Affleck04:36 PM | 26 Jul, 2021
- Pakistani bride's super dancing entry goes viral (VIDEO)03:37 PM | 26 Jul, 2021
- Ertugrul star Esra Bilgic breaks the internet with new beach photo03:15 PM | 26 Jul, 2021
- Stars who used apps to find love08:02 PM | 24 Jul, 2021
- World’s most powerful passports in 2021: Where does Pakistan stand?03:35 PM | 7 Jul, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021
- Famous figures who survived serious plane incidents07:21 PM | 29 May, 2021