NAB arrests Asif Ali Zardari in fake bank accounts case
The court permitted the National Accountability Bureau to arrest the duo as it announced a verdict reserved earlier in the fake bank accounts/ money laundering case, however, the anti-graft body did not arrest Faryal Talpur.
Justice Aamir Farooq and Justice Mohsin Akhtar Kiyani announced the verdict after the accused left the court premises; Pakistan Peoples Party co-chairman was on bail from as early as March 28.
آصف علی زرداری کی گرفتاری کے مناظر ۔ ۔ pic.twitter.com/rsPUxapVYE— Mansoor Ali Khan (@_Mansoor_Ali) June 10, 2019
The court had extended his interim bail for five times, however, a plea in this regard was rejected by a two-member bench today.
The fake bank account case relates to the opening of over two dozen accounts in private banks through which money was allegedly laundered; Asif Zardari's friends including Anwar Majeed, Hussain Lawai and others are already behind bars in the case.
A report by the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) submitted in the Supreme Court detailed that over Rs100b were laundered through the said bank accounts though some estimates say the amount comes out to be around Rs 35b.
NAB Team Arrives at Zardari House
A team of National Accountability Bureau (NAB) arrived at the Zardari House in Islamabad to arrest the former president.
Tight security arrangements were made outside the residence before arresting the lawmaker.
The former president was taken to the NAB office in Rawalpindi and would be produced before an accountability court on Tuesday to seek his remand.
NAB has also informed Speaker National Assembly, Asad Qaiser about the developments, however, PPP lawmakers are demanding the Speaker to issue production orders for Asif Ali Zardari.
Leader of the Opposition in the National Assembly, Shehbaz Sharif demanded the issuance of production orders for Asif Ali Zardari and Khawaja Saad Rafique during his speech on the floor of the House.
Moreover, in his informal interaction with newsmen, the PML-N leader expressed that the former president turned up before NAB team regularly.
- LIVE: Imran Khan arrives in Islamabad to address participants in ...02:15 AM | 26 May, 2022
- IMF tells Pakistan to remove petroleum subsidies for revival of loan ...11:35 PM | 25 May, 2022
- All educational institutions to remain closed in Rawalpindi tomorrow09:28 PM | 25 May, 2022
- Another child paralyzed as Pakistan reports fourth polio case of 202208:44 PM | 25 May, 2022
- HSA, UNFPA mark Int'l day of Midwife 2022 and day to end Obstetric ...08:14 PM | 25 May, 2022
- Amar Khan and Momal Sheikh's hilarious BTS video goes viral06:45 PM | 25 May, 2022
- ‘Pawri girl’ Dananeer Mobeen's new video goes viral02:07 PM | 25 May, 2022
- Coke Studio 14 sets new popularity records in India04:44 PM | 25 May, 2022
- Five best Pakistani YouTube channels that would make your Ramadan ...12:24 PM | 15 Apr, 2022
- Where does Pakistan stand in most powerful passport list in 2022? ...08:37 PM | 5 Apr, 2022
- International Women's Day - Pakistani women who made a mark globally!09:55 PM | 8 Mar, 2022
- ‘Hybrid regime’: Pakistan among worst nations on EIU's Democracy ...01:22 PM | 12 Feb, 2022