Over 40 dead in Kenya bus accident
NAIROBI - As many as 40 people have been killed in a bus accident in western Kenya early Wednesday, police said.
"Reports reaching me are that more than 40 people died on the spot but it could be more because the roof of the bus was ripped off," Rift Valley Provincial Traffic Officer Zero Arome told media.
Another traffic police officer who spoke from the scene, in western Kericho county, placed the number at 42.
"We have 42 people dead, but we are still at the scene," he said.
According to police, the bus was travelling from Nairobi to the western town of Kakamega and was carrying 52 passengers.
The Kenyan Red Cross wrote on Twitter that the bus had overturned. However, more details on the cause of the accident were not immediately available.
Bus overturns at Fort Tenan near Kipkelion, several casualties reported. @EMS_Kenya ambulance team activated.— Kenya Red Cross (@KenyaRedCross) October 10, 2018
In December 2017, 36 people died in a head-on collision between a bus and a lorry.
In 2016 more than 40 people died when an out-of-control fuel tanker ploughed into vehicles and then exploded on a busy stretch of highway.
- Martyred PIA pilot’s father questions credibility of plane crash ...08:35 PM | 25 May, 2020
- Two kids drown in River Chenab08:02 PM | 25 May, 2020
- Predatory cop shoots teen boy dead in Kasur on Eid07:24 PM | 25 May, 2020
- Lahore temperature hits 44°C on second day of Eid07:04 PM | 25 May, 2020
- PML-N’s Nehal Hashmi tests positive for COVID-1906:59 PM | 25 May, 2020
- How much does Ahmed Shah earn from Fahad Mustafa’s Jeeto Pakistan?08:41 PM | 23 May, 2020
- Zara Abid presumed dead, not amongst the survivors of PIA plane crash05:13 PM | 23 May, 2020
- Netflix announces Élite season 4 with returning cast members04:07 PM | 23 May, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020