At least 31 dead in stampede at Karbala
The health ministry spokesman, Saif al-Badr said another 100 devotees were left injured at the shrine around 100 kilometres south of Baghdad, fearing that the toll could rise further.
According to security sources, the death toll is over 30 though an official confirmation from health ministry is awaited in this regard.
The stampede was triggered when part of a walkway collapsed during a procession causing mass panic among worshippers.
The incident is the deadliest stampede in recent history during Ashura when pilgrims from around the world swarm Karbala to commemorate the martyrdom of Hazrat Imam Hussein (RA)— Prophet Muhammed's (PBUH) grandson.
The worst incident of stampede occurred in 2005 when at least 965 pilgrims heading to the Imam Kadhim shrine in Baghdad during a different holiday died after rumours of a suicide bomber in the crowd sparked a mass stampede.
*More info to follow...
- NETSOL technologies to ring Nasdaq closing bell on Jan 2108:56 PM | 17 Jan, 2020
- Senate body approves bill to curb international organized crimes08:13 PM | 17 Jan, 2020
- TLP chief Khadim Hussain Rizvi among 86 awarded 55-year jail sentences08:07 PM | 17 Jan, 2020
- Air Marshal Ahmer Shehzad appointed as Vice Chief of Air Staff07:38 PM | 17 Jan, 2020
- PM Imran wants 'meaningful negotiations' with Shehbaz Sharif over CEC ...07:26 PM | 17 Jan, 2020
- Malala biopic director admits he still receives death threats03:39 PM | 17 Jan, 2020
- Prince Harry makes first public appearance since royal split03:24 PM | 17 Jan, 2020
- Birthday girl Sajal Aly gets heartwarming message from Ahad Raza's mom03:06 PM | 17 Jan, 2020
- OGRA recommends hike in petroleum prices for January 202006:54 PM | 30 Dec, 2019
- Pakistan asks UNMOGIP to brief UNSC on Kashmir situation07:21 PM | 29 Dec, 2019
- 2020 will be year of development, prosperity: Firdous04:01 PM | 28 Dec, 2019
- Zameen.com launches new Plot Finder tool to facilitate online plot ...07:25 PM | 22 Nov, 2019