This young scientist formulated algorithm to get first image of black hole
CALIFORNIA -Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) post-doctoral student Katie Bouman, who isn’t an astronomer, amazingly played a vital role in taking the first-ever photograph of a black hole.
That historic first photo of a black hole was released to the public on Wednesday after years of work on an international project called Event Horizon Telescope.
Bouman had only shared the algorithm details only with her colleagues until yesterday when a team of the Event Horizon Telescope unveiled the first image of a black hole.
According to the Event Horizon Telescope website, “This long-sought image provides the strongest evidence to date for the existence of supermassive black holes and opens a new window onto the study of black holes, their event horizons, and gravity.” In layman’s terms, this could change everything about how we think about the universe.
First ever image of black hole comes to light 07:21 PM | 10 Apr, 2019
LONDON - Astronomers have taken the first-ever image of a black hole using a global network of eight telescopes. The ...
Three years ago MIT grad student led the creation of a new algorithm to produce the first-ever image of a black hole.
Bouman joined the California Institute of Technology as an Assistant Professor in 2019. She works on new systems for computational imaging She researches computational methods for imaging, and developed an algorithm that made possible the first visualization of a black hole using the Event Horizon Telescope.
Take your rightful seat in history, Dr. Bouman! 🔭— Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (@AOC) April 10, 2019
Congratulations and thank you for your enormous contribution to the advancements of science and mankind.
Here’s to #WomenInSTEM!
She was one of about three dozen computer scientists who used algorithms to process data gathered by the Event Horizon Telescope project, a worldwide collaboration of astronomers, engineers, and mathematicians.
- Over 5,000 prisoners suffering from HIV/AIDS, fatal diseases in ...10:27 PM | 19 Jan, 2020
- Kamyab Jawan Programme: PM Imran likely to distribute loan cheques in ...08:26 PM | 19 Jan, 2020
- Father, son die as vehicle falls into sea in Karachi07:49 PM | 19 Jan, 2020
- Pakistan, Malaysia face identical problems, says PM Imran06:58 PM | 19 Jan, 2020
- Balochistan doctors allowed to carry out private practice in ...05:23 PM | 19 Jan, 2020
- Jonas Brothers drop new video featuring their wives02:38 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- Ahmed Ali Butt shares a star-studded selfie and we love it!01:47 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- 60-year-old held for swindling men online using niece’s picture01:30 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- OGRA recommends hike in petroleum prices for January 202006:54 PM | 30 Dec, 2019
- Pakistan asks UNMOGIP to brief UNSC on Kashmir situation07:21 PM | 29 Dec, 2019
- 2020 will be year of development, prosperity: Firdous04:01 PM | 28 Dec, 2019
- Zameen.com launches new Plot Finder tool to facilitate online plot ...07:25 PM | 22 Nov, 2019