Test cricketer Nasir Jamshed banned for one year after spot-fixing inquiry
A Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) tribunal handed down the punishment after finding Jamshed guilty of violating its code for “obstruction and non-cooperation” in the spot-fixing case on Monday.
However, the ban will effectively end in February 2018, as the left-handed opener has been provisionally suspended for the past 10 months.
The PCB has been conducting a long-running investigation into corruption in the Twenty20 Pakistan Super League and believed Nasir to be the main character of the scandal that rocked country's cash-rich event in 2017.
Jamshed, 28, has played two Tests, forty-five one-day internationals and 18 Twenty20 internationals for Pakistan.
However, he can file an appeal against PCB’s decision. Islamabad United's batsman Sharjeel Khan was also banned for five years, with two and a half years of his ban suspended.
Spot-fixing is said to occur where the outcome of a particular passage of play is pre-determined, as opposed to fixing the outcome of a match.
All-rounder Mohammad Nawaz and seamer Mohammad Irfan have also been sanctioned as part of the inquiry after they failed to report suspicious approaches.
A number of other players have also been questioned or suspended while the inquiry is carried out.
Britain's National Crime Agency provided the initial intelligence that led to the PCB investigation.
- Another Indian soldier commits suicide in IIOJK’s Ramban03:33 PM | 18 Apr, 2021
- Pakistan FM discusses peace process with Afghan counterpart02:48 PM | 18 Apr, 2021
- Referee judge to decide Shehbaz Sharif’s bail matter02:28 PM | 18 Apr, 2021
- Sarah Khan, Falak Shabir expecting their first child?09:16 PM | 17 Apr, 2021
- Imran Abbas releases his rendition of Qaseedah Burdah Shareef05:59 PM | 17 Apr, 2021
- Pakistani passport still fourth-worst for international travel in 202110:31 AM | 17 Apr, 2021
- Ramadan 2021: Pakistan issues new guidelines to stem third Covid wave12:15 PM | 14 Apr, 2021
- Ten Stars who were Student Athletes04:30 PM | 13 Apr, 2021
- Celebrities photoshopped with their younger selves11:41 AM | 9 Apr, 2021