US to designate Yemen's Houthi movement as foreign ‘terror group’
WASHINGTON – The United States is all set to designate Yemen’s Houthi movement as a foreign terrorist organization.
The decision to blacklist the group comes as the administration of President-elect Joe Biden prepares to take over from the Trump administration on January 20.
The designations are intended to hold ‘Ansar Allah’ accountable for its terrorist activities, including cross-border attacks threatening civilian populations, infrastructure and commercial shipping, Pompeo said in a statement.
He added that it has led a campaign that has killed many people, continues to destabilise the region and denies Yemenis a peaceful solution to the conflict in their country, he added.
US, Saudi Arabia conduct joint air, naval ... 08:40 PM | 22 Dec, 2020
RIYADH – The Royal Saudi Air Force (RSAF), Royal Saudi Naval Force (RSNF), U.S. Naval Forces Central Command ...
Pompeo also highlighted the December 30 attack in Aden, which killed 26 people.
The group controls much of areas in Yemen and is already under US sanctions.
But labelling as a terrorist group is expected to alert away outside involvements from carrying out many transactions with Houthi authorities, including bank transfers and buying food and fuel.
The Trump administration has been piling on sanctions related to Iran in recent weeks, prompting some Biden allies and outside analysts to conclude that Trump aides are seeking to make it harder for the incoming administration to re-engage with Iran and rejoin an international nuclear agreement.
Both the Houthis and Iran condemned the announcement on Monday.
Saudi-led coalition in Yemen destroy Houthi ... 09:56 AM | 23 Aug, 2020
RIYADH - The Saudi-led coalition fighting in Yemen has intercepted and destroyed an explosive-laden drone and a ...
- Systems Limited wins Lahore Chamber Of Commerce & Industry IT Award ...02:18 PM | 18 Jun, 2021
- PSL 2021 – Lahore Qalandars face off Multan Sultans in must-win ...12:26 PM | 18 Jun, 2021
- CTD kills four terrorists in Balochistan11:27 AM | 18 Jun, 2021
- Expansionary Fiscal and Monetary Policy to Ensure Sustainable Growth10:43 AM | 18 Jun, 2021
- Late Paul Walker's daughter may appear in Fast & Furious 10: Vin ...11:44 PM | 17 Jun, 2021
- TikToker Mian Kashif arrested for fraud with Ertugrul star (VIDEO)08:46 PM | 17 Jun, 2021
- Sanam Saeed agrees with Riz Ahmed's stance on Muslim ...05:56 PM | 17 Jun, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021
- Famous figures who survived serious plane incidents07:21 PM | 29 May, 2021
- Best anti-aging foods to look younger09:47 PM | 18 May, 2021
- Top cricketers who married athletes09:20 PM | 8 May, 2021