The water wives of India: Farmers marry multiple women to carry water for them
MUMBAI (Web Desk) - In some parts of India, water-carrying is so much "women’s work" that it is common practice for men to recruit water carriers to haul heavy buckets to and from distant wells by marrying them.
An estimated 19,000 villages ran dry in 2014, according to Indian government survey. Water shortages are common but deadly; in rural areas across India, more than 500 people died last week from heatstroke and dehydration.
And while polygamy here is technically illegal, it’s more dependable than cloud-seeding, a tactic recently introduced by desperate local officials to make up for the meager monsoon.
The gendered logic embedded within this survival tactic—that lifting and carrying is, in fact, women’s work—should come as no surprise.
From sub-Saharan Africa to Mongolia, three out of four homes without running water depend on women to bridge the plumbing gap. They walk miles to fill up buckets, according to this 2011 UN report.
- Pakistan to celebrate Youm-e-Takbeer with national zeal11:17 AM | 27 May, 2022
- Pakistani mountaineer Ali Raza Sadpara passes away10:46 AM | 27 May, 2022
- Indian troops martyr three Kashmiri youth in IIOJK10:17 AM | 27 May, 2022
- PM Shehbaz to announce relief package for those who can’t afford ...09:45 AM | 27 May, 2022
- Today's currency exchange rates in Pakistan - Dollar, Euro, Pound, ...09:19 AM | 27 May, 2022
- Amna Ilyas’ new bold photo from France sets internet on fire07:13 PM | 26 May, 2022
- Fans share their dance videos to celebrate Ali Zafar’s hit song ...05:50 PM | 26 May, 2022
- Alizeh Shah’s new video of enjoying song in car goes viral04:45 PM | 26 May, 2022
- Five best Pakistani YouTube channels that would make your Ramadan ...12:24 PM | 15 Apr, 2022
- Where does Pakistan stand in most powerful passport list in 2022? ...08:37 PM | 5 Apr, 2022
- International Women's Day - Pakistani women who made a mark globally!09:55 PM | 8 Mar, 2022
- ‘Hybrid regime’: Pakistan among worst nations on EIU's Democracy ...01:22 PM | 12 Feb, 2022