England defeat Australia to reach Cricket World Cup final
Batting first, Australian battling line up did not perform well as it posted a target of 224 runs for England in 49 overs; Steve Smith scored 85 runs and somewhat confronted English bowlers.
In response, England clinched the target in 33rd over with 8 wickets in hand; Jason Roy scored 85 runs while Joe Root contributed 49.
That's a wrap!— Cricket World Cup (@cricketworldcup) July 11, 2019
A brilliant bowling display from England sees Australia all out for 223! Steve Smith battled hard for the Aussies with his 85 – could that be a match-winning knock?#AUSvENG | #CWC19 pic.twitter.com/REgouHphe5
England , bidding to reach their first final since 1992, made a sensational start against the reigning champions, taking three early wickets to leave Aaron Finch's side in deep trouble.
Prolific opening pair David Warner and Finch, as well as Peter Handscomb, were all back in the pavilion by the seventh over.
Smith and Alex Carey (46) steadied the innings with a fourth-wicket stand of 103 before leg-spinner Adil Rashid struck twice in five balls to leave Australia 118-5.
The dangerous Glenn Maxwell then holed out to England captain Eoin Morgan off the bowling of Jofra Archer for 22 and Pat Cummins was caught by Joe Root to give Rashid another victim.
Legspinner Adil Rashid took 3-54 off his 10 overs, his last wicket being that of Pat Cummins (6), who edged to Joe Root at slip.
That came after Jofra Archer removed Glenn Maxwell for 22 with a slow ball, Eoin Morgan taking a simple catch at cover.
Archer took 2-32 off 10 overs.
Earlier, Aaron Finch won the toss and chose to bat first against the hosts, led by Eion Morgan.
#AaronFinch has won the toss and elected to bat at Edgbaston.— Cricket World Cup (@cricketworldcup) July 11, 2019
Follow #AUSvENG on the official #CWC19 app 👇
APPLE 🍎 https://t.co/whJQyCahHr
ANDROID 🤖 https://t.co/Lsp1fBwBKR pic.twitter.com/e5pQoXIFDN
Australia have never lost any of their seven previous World Cup semi-finals -- although they did tie with South Africa at Edgbaston 20 years ago before advancing into the final thanks to their superior net run-rate from the preceding 'Super Six' stage.
The winners of the match in Birmingham will face New Zealand, who shocked mighty India at Old Trafford, in Sunday's final at Lord's.
New Zealand beat India to reach ICC Cricket World ... 03:00 PM | 10 Jul, 2019
MANCHESTER - New Zealand beat India by 18 runs to reach the final of ICC World Cup 2019 on Wednesday. India were ...
- Infinix grand reward for its customers to celebrate Blessed Week10:26 AM | 12 Dec, 2019
- Stern action to be taken against violent lawyers, says Punjab Health ...09:30 AM | 12 Dec, 2019
- Rangers troops deployed in Lahore after lawyers ransack hospital11:30 PM | 11 Dec, 2019
- PM Imran becomes world's fifth most influential leader on Twitter in ...10:51 PM | 11 Dec, 2019
- Dozens arrested in crackdown after lawyers storm PIC Lahore08:51 PM | 11 Dec, 2019
- Beyoncé & Kelly Rowland were sexually harassed as teens by Jagged ...06:57 PM | 11 Dec, 2019
- Ed Sheeran declared as the UK’s artist of the decade06:26 PM | 11 Dec, 2019
- Mere Paas Tum Ho scores more IMDB rating than Game of Thrones02:23 PM | 11 Dec, 2019
- Zameen.com launches new Plot Finder tool to facilitate online plot ...07:25 PM | 22 Nov, 2019
- Azadi March: Chaudhry brothers active for compromise talks as Fazl ...12:08 AM | 5 Nov, 2019
- 8 Reasons to buy HONOR 8 Series04:49 PM | 23 Oct, 2019
- Meet members of Pakistan’s first-ever National Youth Council05:05 PM | 1 Jul, 2019