Pakistani short film to be showcased at virtual Palm Springs festival 2020
A Pakistani short film titled Stray Dogs Come Out at Night has been selected to be presented at the Oscar-qualifying Palm Springs International Festival of Short Films 2020.
Written and directed by Hamza Bangash, the film has also been nominated for two accolades at the festival including the Best Live Action Short and Vimeo Staff Pick Award.
Stray Dogs Come Out at Night is a story of a young maalishwala (masseuse) named Iqbal who is trying to come to cope with an HIV-positive diagnosis.
The lead role is essayed by theatre performer Mohammad Ali Hashmi.
Bangash took to Instagram to announce the news and wrote, “This would have been my first theatrical screening in the US, and is also my first festival selection in the States. The last time I applied for Palm Springs International Film Festival was in 2015, and was promptly rejected.”
View this post on Instagram
Palm Springs baby 🏝🏝🏝 . In the garbage bag of fire that is 2020, we got some good news and we're gonna celebrate it! . This would have been my first theatrical screening in the US, and is also my first festival selection in the States. The last time I applied for Palm Springs International Film Festival was in 2015, and promptly rejected. Working on ma craft, and here 5 years later! Take your time :) So grateful to the Palm Springs team for continuing to celebrate films + filmmakers, and for how they pivoted to a virtual festival. It's a tough time for everyone, but man, I want to take this moment to talk about how great they/ their team have been. They offered us a full refund for our submission fee, didn't pressure us to have a virtual premiere (which we opted out from, for various reasons), and still included us in their programming. Great people, and I hope one day, I'll get to attend IRL. In the meantime, LAURELS. And congrats to my whole team, everything sucks right now, so let's enjoy this. @psfilmfest #straydogscomeoutatnight
“Been working on my craft and here 5 years later! Take your time. So grateful to the Palm Springs team for continuing to celebrate films, filmmakers, and for how they pivoted to a virtual festival.”
Bangash previously produced films such as Dia and Rang Raaz.
Have more to add to the story? Comment below and stay tuned for more!
- K-Electric to face NAB inquiry over loadshedding, flouting agreement06:46 PM | 16 Jul, 2020
- Pakistan Army chief offers help to Italy in fight against COVID-1906:32 PM | 16 Jul, 2020
- Pakistan allows second consular access to Kulbhushan Jadhav05:18 PM | 16 Jul, 2020
- 'ECNEC approves four projects of Rs289 bln'04:56 PM | 16 Jul, 2020
- YouTube takes down Hadiqa Kiani’s song about Kashmir02:43 PM | 16 Jul, 2020
- Yasir Hussain is being subjected to online harassment & bullying: ...01:03 PM | 16 Jul, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020