Ashura: Fans asked to mourn during Iran v South Korea World Cup qualifier
Black flags will be raised in the Azadi Stadium and some terraces will be set aside for bussed-in crowds of mourners, the BBC reported.
The match is being held on the first of two mourning days on the first month of Islamic calendar - Muharram.
South Korea will also wear black armbands as a sign of respect for the hosts.
Muslims mourn the start of a battle that ended on Ashura (Muharram 10th, 61AH), when Imam Hussain - one of most important figures in Islam - was martyred in the battle of Karbala, in today's southern Iraq.
Seventy two of his followers and members of his family were also martyred in the Battle of Karabala.
- Defiant Pakistani journalist Imran Riaz Khan arrested11:29 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Indian actress Sargun Mehta stuns fans as she mimics Shahana from ...09:01 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- PAKvSL: Pakistan Test team leaves for Sri Lanka tomorrow08:58 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Hajj flight operation completed as over 83,000 Pakistani pilgrims ...08:29 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Ahmed Ali Butt’s new video with Mahira Khan and Fahad Mustafa wins ...07:10 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Watch – Umair Jaswal drops new song 'Bewafa'06:42 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Tabish Hashmi believes Kapil Sharma's show copied Pakistani concept05:40 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Pakistan’s largest city Karachi still among world’s least ...06:26 PM | 23 Jun, 2022
- 42 Pakistani universities make it to Times Higher Education Asia ...07:52 PM | 1 Jun, 2022
- Four Pakistanis make it to Forbes 30 Under 30 Asia List 202209:53 PM | 28 May, 2022
- Five best Pakistani YouTube channels that would make your Ramadan ...12:24 PM | 15 Apr, 2022