Pregnant woman wakes from coma, told she had baby
Giles, then five months pregnant, was on her way home from a concert in Nashville with friends when the driver fell asleep at the wheel and hit a barrier, WATE reports; the station reported at the time that Giles suffered a traumatic brain injury. Doctors had to deliver her son prematurely. He was less than two pounds at birth, but is now 6 pounds, 4 ounces, Giles' aunt tells ABC News.
Without the 20-year-old new Tennessee mom awake to name him, the family has simply been calling him "Baby L." When Giles' dad held up the picture of him, Giles "followed the picture" with her eyes, even turning "her neck, her whole head trying to follow and find the picture again" when her dad replaced it on a bulletin board, Giles' aunt says.
Though Giles' prognosis is still unclear, that she woke up at all may be a miracle: "Doctors were telling us there was nothing else they could do," her aunt says; she told WATE in December that the family was told the chance Giles would recover was as low as 2%.
A Wednesday post on a Facebook page set up by her family says she was "blinking [and] squeezing our fingers when we ask her to. ... She is not communicating yet but this is a great start!" As for Baby L, he is still in the neonatal intensive care unit at the University of Tennessee Medical Center, but as soon as he can leave, the family wants to bring him to his mom. A GoFundMe campaign has raised more than $1,000 for the pair. (This woman delivered her baby soon after emerging from a coma.)
This story originally appeared on Newser.
- China establishes world's largest 5G mobile network09:38 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- How many Pakistanis are expected to perform Hajj this year, reveals ...08:55 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- PM Imran to visit Saudi Arabia before or after Eid08:08 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- Jamshed Iqbal Cheema appointed SAPM on food security07:48 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- In first step to control price hike, new Pakistani finance minister ...07:35 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- Alia Bhatt comments on Pakistani rapper-comedian's latest video05:57 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- Ali Azmat tests positive for COVID-1904:15 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- Justin Bieber all set for a cameo in Friends: The Reunion Special05:31 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- Pakistani passport still fourth-worst for international travel in 202110:31 AM | 17 Apr, 2021
- Ramadan 2021: Pakistan issues new guidelines to stem third Covid wave12:15 PM | 14 Apr, 2021
- Ten Stars who were Student Athletes04:30 PM | 13 Apr, 2021
- Celebrities photoshopped with their younger selves11:41 AM | 9 Apr, 2021