Pregnant woman wakes from coma, told she had baby
Giles, then five months pregnant, was on her way home from a concert in Nashville with friends when the driver fell asleep at the wheel and hit a barrier, WATE reports; the station reported at the time that Giles suffered a traumatic brain injury. Doctors had to deliver her son prematurely. He was less than two pounds at birth, but is now 6 pounds, 4 ounces, Giles' aunt tells ABC News.
Without the 20-year-old new Tennessee mom awake to name him, the family has simply been calling him "Baby L." When Giles' dad held up the picture of him, Giles "followed the picture" with her eyes, even turning "her neck, her whole head trying to follow and find the picture again" when her dad replaced it on a bulletin board, Giles' aunt says.
Though Giles' prognosis is still unclear, that she woke up at all may be a miracle: "Doctors were telling us there was nothing else they could do," her aunt says; she told WATE in December that the family was told the chance Giles would recover was as low as 2%.
A Wednesday post on a Facebook page set up by her family says she was "blinking [and] squeezing our fingers when we ask her to. ... She is not communicating yet but this is a great start!" As for Baby L, he is still in the neonatal intensive care unit at the University of Tennessee Medical Center, but as soon as he can leave, the family wants to bring him to his mom. A GoFundMe campaign has raised more than $1,000 for the pair. (This woman delivered her baby soon after emerging from a coma.)
This story originally appeared on Newser.
- Pakistan denies any 'understanding' with US on use of airspace12:30 AM | 24 Oct, 2021
- TLP announces committee for talks with government11:50 PM | 23 Oct, 2021
- T20 World Cup: Defending champions West Indies take a shocking start ...11:15 PM | 23 Oct, 2021
- T20 World Cup: Cricket lovers in frenzy ahead of Pak vs India match10:35 PM | 23 Oct, 2021
- Resham celebrates birthday in style with friends and family03:59 PM | 23 Oct, 2021
- Inside Usman Mukhtar and Zunaira Inam's fairytale wedding07:05 PM | 23 Oct, 2021
- Ushna Shah's new bold photos set internet on fire04:56 PM | 23 Oct, 2021
- Pakistani celebrities who passed away in 202102:00 PM | 17 Oct, 2021
- India falls to 101 in Global Hunger Index 2021, 9 ranks below Pakistan10:54 AM | 16 Oct, 2021
- Celebrity deaths in 202111:59 PM | 12 Oct, 2021
- Hollywood stars with surprising hidden talents07:11 PM | 13 Sep, 2021