Which is the most religious country in the world?
According to the statistics by PEW Research, for each country we've included the most recent figures available.
Afghanistan is an Islamic republic where Islam is practiced by 99% of its citizens. As high as 80% of the population follow Sunni Islam and the remaining are Shias. Apart from Muslims, there are also small minorities - Sikhs and Hindus - living in the Asian country.
This West African country has been ranked in the second position with 95 percent people praying daily.
About 50% of Nigeria's population is Muslim, 40% are Christians while 10% adhere to local religions.
Eighty-seven percent people in the Middle Eastern country pray daily and around 90 – 95% of Iranians associate themselves with the Shia branch of Islam, the official state religion, and about 5–10% with the Sunni and Sufi branches of Islam.
The remaining 0.6% associate themselves with non-Islamic religious minorities, including Bahá'ís, Mandeans, Yarsanis, Zoroastrians, Jews, and Christians.
This Southeast Asian country stands at fourth in the list with the 84 percent people praying daily.
In Indonesia, 87.18% of people identified themselves as Muslim (with Sunnis more than 99%, Shias 0.5%, Ahmadis 0.2%); 7% Protestant Christian; 2.91% Catholic Christian; 1.69% Hindu; 0.72% Buddhist; and 0.05% Confucianism.
This South Asian country is ranked fifth in the most religious country’s list as 75 percent of the population offers prayers on daily basis.
India’s 1.3 billion people are about 80 percent Hindu and 14 percent Muslim, with the rest made up of Christians, Sikhs and other minorities.
The remaining 4% practice Hinduism (2.12%), Christianity (1.59%), Sikhism and other religions.
This South American country claims seventh position in the list with 61 percent people praying daily.
Christianity is the largest religion in Brazil, with most Roman Catholics adherents. Brazil possesses a richly spiritual society formed from the meeting of the Roman Catholic Church with the religious traditions of African slaves and indigenous people.
Turkey has been ranked eighth in the list with 60 percent of total population praying on daily basis.
The United States of America has been ranked ninth in the list of world’s most religious country.
Some 83 percent of Americans identify themselves as Christians. Most of the rest, 13 percent, have no religion. That leaves just 4 percent as adherents of all non-Christian religions combined — Jews, Muslims, Buddhists and others.
This East Asian country has been ranked 10th in the list with the 33 percent population praying daily.
Religion in Japan is dominated by Shinto (the ethnic religion of the Japanese people) and by Buddhism. According to surveys carried out in 2006 and 2008, less than 40% of the population of Japan identifies with organised religion: around 35% are Buddhists, 3% to 4% are members of Shinto sects and derived religions, and from fewer than 1% to 2.3% are Christians.
Least religious countries
The least religious countries, on the other hand, include Israel (27%), Canada (25%), Italy (21%), Russia (18%), France (10%), Germany (9%), and UK (6%), but China surpasses them all, with only 1 per cent people offering prayers daily.
- Rothschild suit revives family's Vienna past10:22 PM | 19 Feb, 2020
- 3 youth martyred in Pulwama as India launches another anti-Kashmir ...10:08 PM | 19 Feb, 2020
- Kashmir issue no more a bilateral but international human rights ...09:55 PM | 19 Feb, 2020
- WWF-Pakistan stresses innovative technologies for wastewater ...06:53 PM | 19 Feb, 2020
- MCC best Multan Sultan by 72 runs in T20 match06:29 PM | 19 Feb, 2020
- Harry Styles reportedly mugged at knifepoint on Valentine's Day01:42 PM | 19 Feb, 2020
- UN chief meets Mahira Khan, thanks her for ‘extraordinary support’02:59 PM | 18 Feb, 2020
- Justin Bieber admits to being 'reckless' with Selena when they dated11:17 AM | 18 Feb, 2020
- Top 10 most searched people of 2019 in Pakistan06:52 PM | 12 Feb, 2020
- Top five impressive benefits of Orange juice07:14 PM | 6 Feb, 2020
- 8 Reasons to buy HONOR 8 Series04:49 PM | 23 Oct, 2019
- Meet members of Pakistan’s first-ever National Youth Council05:05 PM | 1 Jul, 2019