State to pursue Usman Mirza case following victim’s U-turn
PM Imran directs Ministry of Law and Justice to conduct follow-up on case
ISLAMABAD – State will pursue prosecution in the Islamabad couple harassment case after the victim retracted statement against the accused and told not to pursue the case.
The incident occurred in July last year that triggered outcry as four persons forced a couple to strip at gunpoint and then assaulted them.
In the recent shocking development, the female victim, who was harassed at E-11 flat of country’s federal capital has taken a U-turn as she refused to recognize the accused men.
As the victim retracted the statement, Prime Minister Imran Khan ordered federal authorities to submit a progress report on the pursuit of the case. PM’s aide on communication said that aside from the Islamabad harassment case, the premier has sought a report on the motorway rape case as well.
Parliamentary Secretary for Law and Justice Barrister Maleeka Bokhari said the state would now pursue prosecution in light of irrefutable evidence on record.
Meeting held at @MoLawJusticeof1— Maleeka Ali Bokhari (@MalBokhari) January 12, 2022
The State will pursue prosecution in the Usman Mirza case irrespective of recent developments relating to victim's testimony.Irrefutable video & forensic evidence on record- anyone harrassing & stripping a woman must face full force of the law. pic.twitter.com/SHRMCzhXk1
PTI lawmaker said that a high-level meeting, chaired by Law Minister Barrister Forough Naseem, was held at the Ministry of Law and Justice on the special directive of the Prime Minister.
On Tuesday, the victim withdrew her statement and submitted an affidavit to state for the record that she will no longer be pursuing the case however the woman, in an initial statement to the magistrate, said the accused had threatened to gang-rape her if she did not engage in a lewd act with her friend while they filmed it.
She now stated that no one tried to assault her sexually, nor did anyone record her, in a shocking turn of events while she earlier mentioned to perform nude dance in front of Usman and his accomplices revealing that she was assaulted when she refused.
Islamabad assault case – Victim retracts ... 07:19 PM | 11 Jan, 2022
ISLAMABAD – In a new twist to the Islamabad couple assault case, the victim on Tuesday backtracked from her ...
Earlier, seven, including prime culprit Usman Mirza, were indicted in the Islamabad couple harassment case. Islamabad High Court had also rejected the bail appeals of the three accused and directed the authorities to complete Usman Mirza's trial case in two months.
Usman Mirza arrested for assaulting, stripping ... 12:30 PM | 7 Jul, 2021
ISLAMABAD – Police in the federal capital Tuesday claimed to apprehend the culprit, Usman Mirza, who was seen ...
- LIVE: PTI supporters in Imran Khan's long march set police van on ...11:03 PM | 25 May, 2022
- All educational institutions to remain closed in Rawalpindi tomorrow09:28 PM | 25 May, 2022
- Another child paralyzed as Pakistan reports fourth polio case of 202208:44 PM | 25 May, 2022
- HSA, UNFPA mark Int'l day of Midwife 2022 and day to end Obstetric ...08:14 PM | 25 May, 2022
- Pakistan Army strongly condemns sentencing of Kashmiri leader Yasin ...08:01 PM | 25 May, 2022
- Amar Khan and Momal Sheikh's hilarious BTS video goes viral06:45 PM | 25 May, 2022
- ‘Pawri girl’ Dananeer Mobeen's new video goes viral02:07 PM | 25 May, 2022
- Coke Studio 14 sets new popularity records in India04:44 PM | 25 May, 2022
- Five best Pakistani YouTube channels that would make your Ramadan ...12:24 PM | 15 Apr, 2022
- Where does Pakistan stand in most powerful passport list in 2022? ...08:37 PM | 5 Apr, 2022
- International Women's Day - Pakistani women who made a mark globally!09:55 PM | 8 Mar, 2022
- ‘Hybrid regime’: Pakistan among worst nations on EIU's Democracy ...01:22 PM | 12 Feb, 2022