India launching combat drone program to keep an eye on Pakistan
According to reports in Indian media, the Indian government is close to approving Project Ghatak, worth INR26,500 million in order to develop the futuristic “Indian Unmanned Strike Air Vehicle” which has already been cleared by the country’s defence ministry.
Read more: Tokyo police to launch Drone Squad
“The project is now being evaluated by an expert committee set up by the finance ministry. Once approved, Project Ghatak will be placed before the cabinet committee on security for the final nod,” the source added.
Sources further revealed that Ghatak which was an initiative of the Aeronautical Development Agency-DRDO, is likely to take at least a decade to become fully-operational.
“The UCAV will weigh less than a fighter jet since it will be more of a flying-wing in design,” the source stated.
Further, the UCAV which is considered to be one of the game-changers in modern day warfare, will be powered by a 52-kilo-newton dry variant.
Along with UCAVs, the Indian government has allowed the upgrade of some of the existing Indian fleet of Israeli Heron and Searcher-II UAVs for the vehicles to be able to outdo their current surveillance and precision-targeting roles in combat missions.
According to reports, drones such as the ‘Predator’ and ‘Reaper’, controlled from the United States through satellites, have been time and again to fire missiles, targeting Taliban in the Pak-Afghan region.
Indian armed forces wish to instate a greater variety of drones including hand-launched and full-fledged UCAVs, at least 598 mini-UAVs in order to ensure ‘battlefield transparency’ and ‘beyond the hill surveillance’ in a 10-km radius for its infantry soldiers.
- Teenage boy 'gang-raped', filmed by six in Punjab’s Pakpattan11:14 AM | 20 Apr, 2021
- Over 100 clerics of banned TLP placed on fourth schedule10:45 AM | 20 Apr, 2021
- Currency Exchange Rates in Pakistan today - 2021-April-20-Updated ...09:56 AM | 20 Apr, 2021
- Govt to table resolution on French envoy’s expulsion in NA today: ...09:39 AM | 20 Apr, 2021
- Pakistan reports 5,445 new cases, 137 deaths amid Covid-19 surge09:07 AM | 20 Apr, 2021
- Amir Liaquat's Nagin dance video goes viral06:19 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- Alia Bhatt comments on Pakistani rapper-comedian's latest video05:57 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- Ali Azmat tests positive for COVID-1904:15 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- Pakistani passport still fourth-worst for international travel in 202110:31 AM | 17 Apr, 2021
- Ramadan 2021: Pakistan issues new guidelines to stem third Covid wave12:15 PM | 14 Apr, 2021
- Ten Stars who were Student Athletes04:30 PM | 13 Apr, 2021
- Celebrities photoshopped with their younger selves11:41 AM | 9 Apr, 2021