Test cricket returns to Pakistan after 10 years as Rawalpindi, Karachi to host Tests against Sri Lanka
The first Test will be played at the Pindi Cricket Stadium from 11-15 December, while the second Test will be held at the National Stadium from 19-23 December.
The Test series schedule was confirmed today after Cricket Sri Lanka gave their thumbs-up to fulfil their Future Tours Programme commitment following a highly successful visit for white-ball cricket. The tour not only delivered security from the top draw but packed houses sent out a loud and clear message about the security situation in the country as well as a passion for the game, the Radio Pakistan reported.
Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) Director International Cricket, Zakir Khan, said: “This is fabulous news for Pakistan cricket and its reputation of being as safe and secure as any other country in the world. We are thankful to Sri Lanka Cricket for agreeing to send their team for the longer version of the game, which will contribute significantly in the PCB’s efforts and drive for the regular resumption of international cricket, and help in its endeavours of attracting new audiences and the younger generation.
SLC chief executive Ashley de Silva said: “We are pleased to confirm our return visit to Pakistan as, based on our earlier visit, we are comfortable and convinced conditions are suitable and conducive for Test cricket. We also believe all cricket playing countries should host international cricket at home and in this relation, we are happy to play our part in a complete resumption of international cricket in Pakistan , which not only has a proud history but has been one of our biggest supporters in our early days as a cricket nation”.
Originally, Sri Lanka was scheduled to play Tests in October and then return in December for white-ball cricket, but the matches were swapped to provide them with the opportunity to assess the situation before deciding on the Test venues.
- A Smartphone that Brings Affordability & Reliability for Everyone – ...10:55 PM | 24 Jan, 2020
- PTI rejects Transparency International's 'biased' report about ...07:17 PM | 24 Jan, 2020
- UNODC, Interior Ministry launch technical assistance framework07:02 PM | 24 Jan, 2020
- UK changes its travel advice to reflect improved security situation ...06:15 PM | 24 Jan, 2020
- COAS Bajwa inaugurates Electronic Warfare and Ground Surveillance ...06:06 PM | 24 Jan, 2020
- #MeToo: 'Harvey Weinstein raped me', Annabella Sciorra testifies in ...04:08 PM | 24 Jan, 2020
- Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy meets Deepika Padukone at World Economic Forum03:29 PM | 24 Jan, 2020
- I don’t even think I should be alive: Justin Bieber gives emotional ...02:46 PM | 24 Jan, 2020
- OGRA recommends hike in petroleum prices for January 202006:54 PM | 30 Dec, 2019
- Pakistan asks UNMOGIP to brief UNSC on Kashmir situation07:21 PM | 29 Dec, 2019
- 2020 will be year of development, prosperity: Firdous04:01 PM | 28 Dec, 2019
- Zameen.com launches new Plot Finder tool to facilitate online plot ...07:25 PM | 22 Nov, 2019