Pakistani university's ban on Valentine's Day takes social media by storm
UAF Vice Chancellor Dr. Zafar Iqbal Randhawa said the varsity will be observing ‘Sisters’ Day’ to promote eastern culture and Islamic traditions among the youth.
The varsity vice-chancellor further said that “UAF was mulling a plan to distribute scarf, shawls and gowns” among female students on the day.
Inaugurating the signage “I love UAF”, Dr. Randhawa said, “We are enriched in our culture, norms, and Islamic values.” In our culture, women are more empowered and earned their due respects as sisters, mothers, daughters, and wife, he added.
This Pakistani varsity will ‘celebrate’ Feb ... 05:50 PM | 13 Jan, 2019
FAISALABAD – A university in Punjab province has decided to celebrate ‘Sisters Day’ instead of Valentine’s Day ...
The announcement created an online debate all around the country and Twitteratis couldn’t stop talking about it. A couple of Pakistani prominent personalities and celebrities had also shared their views regarding the decision by UAF:
Senator Sherry Rehman:
Sherry Rehman reminded everyone that women are not objects and the University administration should reconsider their decision.
To the sisters of Faisalabad: May your virtue be best preserved by the gift of restraint that all civilisations and religions insist upon for men,especially Islam. Women are not objects to be policed by university administrations.Vice is in the mind of the beholder. Or principle— SenatorSherryRehman (@sherryrehman) January 14, 2019
Comedian Shafaqat Ali :
Pakistani comedian Shafaat Ali shared Politician Sherry Rehman’s tweet and said that women are actually not objects.
Osman Khalid Butt:
Osman Khalid Butt was not able to comprehend the decision of declaring Valentine's day as Sisters day by the UADF. He also said that female students should also gift horse blinders to male students.
Brilliant - though in the interest of fairness, the female students should gift chastity belts/horse blinders to the men, or better yet, have their eyes gouged out? https://t.co/ABtHhXYV1o— Osman Khalid Butt (@aClockworkObi) January 13, 2019
Let's go through some more tweets with #Sistersday:
If Faisalabad Uni wanted a #SistersDay, they had 364 other days to choose from. To pick 14th Feb, the one day dedicated to non-platonic love shows a desperation and cultural paranoia more than any genuine regard for their sisters. 1/2— Usama Sarfraz (@UsamaSarfraz19) January 14, 2019
What are your thoughts about the decision by UAF? Let us know in the comments section below.
- ‘President grossly failed to exercise his discretion,’ remarks SC ...07:04 PM | 23 Oct, 2020
- 6-year old raped, set on fire in India’s Punjab06:03 PM | 23 Oct, 2020
- US suspends visa services in Turkey over reports of potential terror ...05:58 PM | 23 Oct, 2020
- Police arrested man posturing as fake Pakistan Army Captain04:47 PM | 23 Oct, 2020
- 37th Millat Tractors Governors Cup Golf commences today04:20 PM | 23 Oct, 2020
- IN PICTURES: 5 of the most expensive Pakistani weddings of all times03:33 PM | 23 Oct, 2020
- Turkish Airlines fined for violating SOPs in Pakistan02:42 PM | 23 Oct, 2020
- PDM rally venue changed in Quetta over security threats02:05 PM | 23 Oct, 2020
- Five killed as bus catches fire near Khuzdar12:07 PM | 23 Oct, 2020
- PML-N leader’s secret meeting upsets Nawaz11:45 AM | 23 Oct, 2020