COVID-19: Senegal resumes international flights after 4 months
DAKAR – Senegal resumed international flights on Wednesday, four months after severing air links because of the coronavirus pandemic.
An Air Algerie flight arrived at Dakar's international airport at midnight Tuesday and six other flights were scheduled to depart and arrive throughout the day, according to the Ministry of Air Transport.
Passengers departing for the West African country are required to present proof from an approved laboratory that they have tested negative for coronavirus within the previous seven days.
The certificate has to come from a lab in the country where the trip originated.
International commercial flights for repatriation had continued to depart and arrive intermittently in Dakar after the closure of air borders in March.
Land and sea borders remain closed.
Senegal lifted its state of emergency and curfew, imposed in March to stem the spread of the virus, at the end of June.
The restrictions had triggered violent protests, as seen in several countries in the region.
The number of cases in Senegal continues to climb, however, with more than 8,300 infections and 153 deaths recorded since March 2.
President Macky Sall said in a televised speech last month that the impoverished country could see a recession due to the pandemic, and that "productive activity must be resumed in order to get our economy going again".
- Pakistan vs England, first Test: PCB announces squad for Old Trafford ...04:11 PM | 4 Aug, 2020
- India sees over 50,000 virus cases for 6th straight day03:20 PM | 4 Aug, 2020
- Pakistan pays tribute to fallen heroes on Police Martyrs' Day02:52 PM | 4 Aug, 2020
- Netflix confirms season 5 of Money Heist02:21 PM | 4 Aug, 2020
- #MeToo: Ayesha Omar opens up about sexual harassment with Rose McGowan01:30 PM | 4 Aug, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020