PTI's Mehmood Khan elected CM KPK
PESHAWAR - Mehmood Khan was elected as the Chief Minister of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa on Thursday after the lawmakers exercised their right to vote.
Mehmood, a candidate of Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf, bagged 77 votes against his rival, Nisar Gull of Muttahida Majlis-e-Amal (MMA), who secured 33 votes.
The official results, confirming Khan's victory were announced by the Speaker of Assembly, Mushtaq Ghani, however, Mehmood's victory was written on the wall as the party had bagged majority during the recently held general elections with 84 seats in the House.
Mahmood has previously held the portfolio of sports, culture and irrigation in the province. The 46-year-old was recommended by former KP chief minister Pervaiz Khattak after Atif Khan was brushed aside for the top slot.
This is the second consecutive tenure of Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf with its own chief executive in the war-battered province.
Sindh CM Election
The province of Sindh is also holding its elections for the slot of Chief Minister today.
In Sindh, Pakistan Peoples Party emerged as the major party and is in strong position to win the elections for the leader of the House. The PPP leadership has fielded Syed Murad Ali Shah as a candidate in the chief minister elections.
Murad Ali Shah also served as the provincial chief executive during the previous tenure of the PPP.
On the other hand, the joint opposition comprising Muttahida Qaumi Movement-Pakistan, Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) and others, has nominated Shahryar Mahar as their candidate for the slot.
SINDH ASSEMBLY SPEAKER
Agha Siraj Durrani, the nominee of PPP for the slot of Speaker Sindh Assembly was sworn in on Wednesday after he secured 96 votes through secret ballot and defeated his rival Javed Hanif who clinched 59 votes.
Agha Siraj Durrani sworn in as Speaker Sindh ... 01:11 PM | 15 Aug, 2018
KARACHI - Agha Siraj Durrani, the nominee of Pakistan Peoples Party for the slot of Speaker Sindh Assembly was sworn ...
Durrani has been elected to the house for the second consecutive term as Pakistan peoples Party enjoys a landslide majority in te provincial house.
KP ASSEMBLY SPEAKER
Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf’s nominee, Mushtaq Ghani, was elected as the Speaker of the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Assembly on Wednesday.
His election as the 18th Speaker of the House came after the lawmakers cast their votes through secret ballot in which he secured 81 votes against his rival Laiq Muhammad who clinched 27 votes.
Mushtaq Ghani elected Speaker KP Assembly 11:23 AM | 15 Aug, 2018
PESHAWAR - Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf's nominee, Mushtaq Ghani, was elected as the Speaker of the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa ...
Mushtaq Ghani, who won the elections for PK-39, took the oath of his office after the election.
Meanwhile, Mehmood Jan of PTI also won the election for the slot of the Deputy Speakership.
- Huawei allowed to play limited role in building UK's 5G network10:27 PM | 28 Jan, 2020
- Pakistan ex-skipper Sarfraz Ahmed blessed with baby girl09:04 PM | 28 Jan, 2020
- Pakistan set to launch first-ever national emigration policy08:24 PM | 28 Jan, 2020
- Federal cabinet rejects Mushtaq Mahar's name as Sindh IGP after ...08:06 PM | 28 Jan, 2020
- Drinking water case: SC dissolves Sindh Water Commission06:59 PM | 28 Jan, 2020
- Why Miley Cyrus missed the 2020 Grammy Awards?03:58 PM | 28 Jan, 2020
- Rabi Pirzada performs Umrah03:38 PM | 28 Jan, 2020
- Ayeza Khan says she wanted to redefine the role of a 'heroine' ...03:25 PM | 28 Jan, 2020
- OGRA recommends hike in petroleum prices for January 202006:54 PM | 30 Dec, 2019
- Pakistan asks UNMOGIP to brief UNSC on Kashmir situation07:21 PM | 29 Dec, 2019
- 2020 will be year of development, prosperity: Firdous04:01 PM | 28 Dec, 2019
- Zameen.com launches new Plot Finder tool to facilitate online plot ...07:25 PM | 22 Nov, 2019