PM Nawaz likely to hold first ever meeting with Donald Trump this week
Both the leaders would face off on May 21 at US-Arab Islamic summit where two dozen heads of governments and states would gather to focus on ways to enhance the cooperation between the American and the Muslim countries in fight against extremism.
Foreign Office officials confirmed to a leading daily that efforts were underway to arrange a maiden bilateral meeting between Trump and Nawaz at the sidelines of the summit.
A senior Pakistani official, who requested anonymity said the prime minister was already preparing a ‘brief’ for a possible interaction with the US president.
The official said the ‘brief’ includes the country’s position on Afghanistan’s current situation and the way forward and current tensions with India.
The likely interaction follows the prime minister's telephonic conversation with Trump weeks after he won the US presidential elections by a landslide majority.
That telephonic conversation made waves across the globe because of Trump’s unprecedented praise for Nawaz’s leadership as well as for Pakistan.
Nawaz Sharif is a terrific guy, Pakistan is an ... 09:05 PM | 30 Nov, 2016
ISLAMABAD - Prime Minister Muhammad Nawaz Sharif telephoned US President-elect Donald Trump and felicitated him on his ...
Islamabad released a full transcript of the telephonic conversation in which Trump reportedly said he would love to come to “a fantastic country, a fantastic place of fantastic people.”
“Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif, you have a very good reputation. You are a terrific guy. You are doing amazing work which is visible in every way. I am looking forward to seeing you soon,” the statement quoted Trump as saying.
Trump also asked premier Nawaz Sharif to convey to the Pakistani people that they were amazing and all Pakistanis he had known were exceptional people.
Security situation in Afghanistan to deteriorate ... 02:28 PM | 12 May, 2017
WASHINGTON - In what appears to be an admission of defeat, the head of US intelligence agencies on Thursday expressed ...
The chances of this much sought after meeting are bright because the tycoon-turned-president is mulling a policy shift for Afghanistan. The latest intelligence report released last week portrayed a dark picture for Americans as it suggested that the situation in Afghanistan would deteriorate further.
“The political and security situation in Afghanistan will also almost certainly deteriorate through 2018, even with a modest increase in the military assistance by the US and its partners,” Director of National Intelligence Dan Coats said at a hearing of the Senate Intelligence Committee.
While presenting an annual assessment of threats to US national security, Coats told lawmakers that Afghanistan would struggle to curb its dependence on external support until it contains the insurgency or reaches a peace agreement with the Taliban who claim controlling around 34 districts.
- Pakistan Army soldier martyred in another terror attack from inside ...09:15 AM | 1 Oct, 2022
- Today's currency exchange rates in Pakistan - Dollar, Euro, Pound, ...08:44 AM | 1 Oct, 2022
- Today's gold rates in Pakistan – 01 October 202208:32 AM | 1 Oct, 2022
- TikTok removes 113 million videos to protect minors on the platform11:42 PM | 30 Sep, 2022
- 'First-ever Indian singer to have his own private island with a lake, ...10:14 PM | 30 Sep, 2022
- Saim Sadiq's Joyland nominated for Oscars by Pakistani Academy ...08:09 PM | 30 Sep, 2022
- Pakistan, India lose ranking on UN’s human development index07:32 PM | 10 Sep, 2022
- Movies lineup for 2022-23 in Pakistan08:01 PM | 1 Sep, 2022
- Pakistani passport ranked 4th worst on list of 19911:59 PM | 23 Aug, 2022
- Pakistan ranks second worst on gender inequality10:55 PM | 13 Jul, 2022