Sri Lanka confirms team's visit to Pakistan for T20I
The Sri Lankan team will reach Lahore on October 28 to play the match at Gaddafi Stadium.
"The executive committee of the Sri Lanka Cricket, having been fully satisfied with the stringent security measures in place, unanimously decided to play the 3rd T20 in Lahore on the 29th October," read a Sri Lanka Cricket press statement issued on Monday.
Sri Lanka Cricket president Thilanga Sumathipala, who will accompany the team to Lahore, also extended his best wishes to Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) Chairman Najam Sethi on the occasion of this historic game, which is set to bring back bilateral cricket to Pakistan.
Sethi told the media that the match was on even though the Sri Lankan Cricket (SLC) was due to meet in the next 24 hours to deliberate upon the issue.
Sri Lanka beat Pakistan in a two-Test series in the United Arab Emirates and are playing five one-day internationals and two Twenty20 matches in the same country before the third and final T20, scheduled to be held in Lahore.
However, 40 contracted Sri Lanka players on Sunday handed a letter to their national governing body requesting the October 29 match be moved to a neutral venue.
Sri Lanka players ‘refuse’ to visit Pakistan ... 04:32 PM | 14 Oct, 2017
DUBAI - Sri Lanka team have reportedly refused to visit Pakistan to play the third and final Twenty20 International ...
The Sri Lankan team had come under attack from terrorists in March, 2009 in Lahore, in which six Pakistani policemen were killed. That attack led to international teams refusing to tour Pakistan citing security concerns.
Although Afghanistan and Zimbabwe recently toured Pakistan for limited-overs series, the PCB made a breakthrough when it first hosted the Pakistan Super League (PSL) final in Lahore in March and in September a second string World XI toured Lahore for three T20 matches backed by the International Cricket Council and FICA.
Sethi said that the visit by Sri Lankan team to Lahore for the lone match was planned and agreed upon in a meeting in which officials of the two boards and ICC were present.
He added the PCB's endeavour was to keep on improving the security arrangements based on regular feedback from ICC and FICA approved security experts.
- Gold price jumps Rs700 per tola in Pakistan10:00 PM | 20 Jan, 2022
- ‘Video’ of PSL 2022 anthem featuring Atif Aslam, Aima Baig leaked ...09:10 PM | 20 Jan, 2022
- U19 World Cup: Pakistan set 240-run target for Afghanistan08:46 PM | 20 Jan, 2022
- Noor Mukadam case: Zahir Jaffer declared ‘physically and mentally ...08:20 PM | 20 Jan, 2022
- ‘Bismillah’ – Sharmila Faruqui files cybercrime complaint ...06:49 PM | 20 Jan, 2022
- 'Kana Yaari' – Coke Studio's hijabi rapper Eva B wins hearts07:31 PM | 20 Jan, 2022
- Who has scored most runs in Pakistan Super League? Here’s list of ...01:52 PM | 15 Jan, 2022
- Where does Pakistan stand in world's most powerful passport list in ...11:27 AM | 13 Jan, 2022
- Pakistan’s Top News Moments of 202110:47 PM | 31 Dec, 2021
- Famous Figures We Lost in 202107:03 PM | 31 Dec, 2021