SBP cuts key rate by 75 bps to 12.50% over coronavirus
KARACHI – State Bank of Pakistan (SBP) on Tuesday cut its key interest rate by 75 bps to 12.50%, the first reduction in four years, citing declining inflationary pressure.
The SBP said a drop in oil prices and global slowdown caused by the coronavirus epidemic had eased the inflationary pressure for Pakistan.
The Central Bank has held the 13.25% interest rates steady since July when it paused after a series of hikes as data started showing the inflation rate stabilising. However, inflation has lately registered a decline.
Local businesses and exporters have lately been protesting high borrowing costs, which they said was harming investment.
- Pakistan calls for lifting restrictions in IoJ&K as COVID-19 pandemic ...10:58 PM | 29 Mar, 2020
- German minister commits suicide 'over coronavirus'09:25 PM | 29 Mar, 2020
- Syria confirms first coronavirus death08:49 PM | 29 Mar, 2020
- COVID19: Pakistan confirms 16 deaths; Coronavirus cases rise to 1,58907:30 PM | 29 Mar, 2020
- Spain's Princess Maria first royalty to die from coronavirus07:15 PM | 29 Mar, 2020
- Baby Doll singer Kanika Kapoor tested positive for coronavirus03:40 PM | 26 Mar, 2020
- Michael Jackson ‘predicted’ coronavirus-like pandemic: Ex ...03:28 PM | 26 Mar, 2020
- Maya Ali is distributing ration bags among needy over Coronavirus ...03:16 PM | 26 Mar, 2020
- Pakistani student gives birth to baby girl in Wuhan, China04:00 PM | 15 Mar, 2020
- Top 10 most searched people of 2019 in Pakistan06:52 PM | 12 Feb, 2020
- Top five impressive benefits of Orange juice07:14 PM | 6 Feb, 2020
- 8 Reasons to buy HONOR 8 Series04:49 PM | 23 Oct, 2019