SBP cuts key rate by 75 bps to 12.50% over coronavirus
KARACHI – State Bank of Pakistan (SBP) on Tuesday cut its key interest rate by 75 bps to 12.50%, the first reduction in four years, citing declining inflationary pressure.
The SBP said a drop in oil prices and global slowdown caused by the coronavirus epidemic had eased the inflationary pressure for Pakistan.
The Central Bank has held the 13.25% interest rates steady since July when it paused after a series of hikes as data started showing the inflation rate stabilising. However, inflation has lately registered a decline.
Local businesses and exporters have lately been protesting high borrowing costs, which they said was harming investment.
- Pakistan’s Google team briefs steps towards digitization, computer ...12:44 AM | 4 Jul, 2020
- Daraz Humqadam supports 45,000 businesses, empowers 5,500 SMEs to ...11:14 PM | 3 Jul, 2020
- Coronavirus — Pakistan to open four western borders from Sunday10:47 PM | 3 Jul, 2020
- UAE allows citizens, residents to travel abroad09:53 PM | 3 Jul, 2020
- COAS Bajwa expresses grief over loss of lives in Sheikhupura train ...09:04 PM | 3 Jul, 2020
- Samina Peerzada pays her respects to the late Saroj Khan03:22 PM | 3 Jul, 2020
- Bollywood choreographer Saroj Khan passes away at 7110:50 AM | 3 Jul, 2020
- Kashmiri lives also matter, says Mehwish Hayat10:15 AM | 3 Jul, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020