'King of Ghazal' remembered on 93rd birth anniversary
ISLAMABAD – The 93rd birthd anniversary of renowned Pakistani ghazal singer late Mehdi Hassan was observed on Saturday, with many electronic and radio channels playing his tracks all day long.
Mehdi Hassan was born on July 18, 1927 in a village called Luna, Rajasthan in Jhunjhunu district in India into a family of traditional musicians.
He was honoured with Tamgha-e-Imtiaz, Pride of Performance and Hilal-e-Imtiaz by the government of Pakistan. In 1983, in the court of King Birendra he was awarded Gorkha Dakshina Bahu by the government of Nepal.
Mehdi Hassan Khan was one of the most popular and influencial singer in the history of ghazal singing who was and playback singer for lollywood who was referred to as the "Shahenshah-e-Ghazal" (King of Ghazal).
He was known for his "haunting" baritone voice.
Mehdi Hassan was credited with bringing ghazal singing to a worldwide audience. He was unique for his melodic patterns and maintaining integrity of the ragas in an innovative way.
Born to a musical family, he influenced generations of singers from diverse genres, from Jagjit Singh to Sonu Nigam.
He earned numerous awards and accolades in his career and remained a leading singer of Pakistani film industry along with another contemporary playback singer Ahmed Rushdi, and it's estimated that he sang and created soundtracks for almost 300 movies.
Mehdi Hassan died on June 13, 2012 after a protracted illness, in a private hospital in Karachi.
- Pakistan vs England, first Test: PCB announces squad for Old Trafford ...04:11 PM | 4 Aug, 2020
- India sees over 50,000 virus cases for 6th straight day03:20 PM | 4 Aug, 2020
- 21 years of working would not have happened with just nepotism: ...03:14 PM | 4 Aug, 2020
- Pakistan pays tribute to fallen heroes on Police Martyrs' Day02:52 PM | 4 Aug, 2020
- Pakistan Navy promotes Cdre Muhammad Saleem to Rear Admiral02:30 PM | 4 Aug, 2020
- #MeToo: Ayesha Omar opens up about sexual harassment with Rose McGowan01:30 PM | 4 Aug, 2020
- From Acting to ‘Action!’: Saba Qamar to make directorial debut ...05:32 PM | 3 Aug, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020