Pakistan records first football win in Asian Games after 44 years
The victory at Bekasi, Indonesia did not come easy though as the national team dug themselves a hole difficult to get out of, scoring an own-goal in the 12th minute, because of a mistake by Shahbaz Younus.
The team did make up for that mistake and eventually conjured up a hard-fought victory as Muhammad Bial scored in the 54th minute and then captain Saddam Hussain sealed the win after scoring a penalty in the 72nd minute.
Goals from the Pakistan U23 2-1 win over Nepal U23 in Asian Games 2018.— FootballPakistan.com (FPDC) (@FootballPak) August 19, 2018
Nepal took lead thanks to a comical own goal from defender Shahbaz Younas before Muhammad Bilal headed in a Mansoor Khan freekick and then captain @SaddamSH17 stepped up to score from penalty spot. pic.twitter.com/CsDmVsjiwB
The win brought hope for the country to progress to the knock-out round. However, it is highly unlikely that the team would qualify as Pakistan has the worst goal difference in the group, -6, as they were thrashed 3-0 by Vietnam in their first match and then lost 4-0 against Japan on Thursday.
Asia Games update. Bangladesh beat Qatar 1-0 with a late late goal finish 2nd and qualify ahead of Thailand in Gp B. Pakistan's chances of making next round increased. If Kyrgyzstan (vs S Korea), Myanmar (v Iran), and N Korea (vs Saudi) do not win their games tmrw, we go through! pic.twitter.com/8ia6PHsedS— FootballPakistan.com (FPDC) (@FootballPak) August 19, 2018
Pakistan has only ever won three matches at the Asain Games football event now, the other two being in 1954 and 1974. The rules of fielding the teams at the Asian Games had changed in 2002, as the participating nations can field only three seniors players now, and the rest of the squad should be U23.
- UNSC expresses serious concern over current IIOJ&K situation03:10 PM | 6 Aug, 2020
- The shocking reason behind Ayesha Omar's fitness01:05 PM | 6 Aug, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020