FM Qureshi urges UNSC to play role in averting Indian threats to regional peace
ISLAMABAD - Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi has urged the UN Security Council to play its rightful role in averting any threats to peace and security in the region as well as bringing an immediate end to the suffering of the Kashmiri people under occupation.
In a series of letters to UN Secretary-General and President of General Assembly, he has consistently updated them on the grave situation in Indian occupied Jammu & Kashmir.
The Foreign Minister in his letters conveyed Pakistan’s serious concerns over India’s illegal and unilateral actions in IOJ&K and the resultant humanitarian situation as well as steps on the ground posing serious risks to peace and security.
In his latest letter dated 12 December 2019, he apprised the UN Security Council and Secretary-General on Indian actions that continue to escalate tensions in an already tense environment in South Asia.
The Indian actions include its leadership’s bellicose rhetoric, issuance of new ‘political maps’, unprecedented LoC ceasefire violations, deployment and testing of missiles of various ranges and capabilities, and attempts to change the demographic structure of occupied Jammu & Kashmir.
He said to prevent possible escalation, Pakistan has proposed strengthening of UNMOGIP’s presence in the region.
The Minister said a reinforced UNMOGIP could serve as an important tool in the hands of the Security Council for maintenance of peace and security in the region, the Radio Pakistan reported.
Shah Mahmood Qureshi said the Security Council must play a proactive role in the peaceful resolution of this long-standing dispute on the Council’s agenda.
- Bangladesh cricket team lands in Lahore to play T-20 series against ...11:05 AM | 23 Jan, 2020
- New flu-like virus kills 17 in China10:18 AM | 23 Jan, 2020
- ECP restores membership of 72 more parliamentarians09:08 AM | 23 Jan, 2020
- Pakistan addressing impacts of climate change, says PM Imran08:39 AM | 23 Jan, 2020
- I absolutely do not endorse the concepts and viewpoints of Mr Khalil ...03:37 PM | 22 Jan, 2020
- Taylor Swift reveals mother's brain tumor diagnosis03:12 PM | 22 Jan, 2020
- HBO Max orders royal family comedy ‘The Prince’02:55 PM | 22 Jan, 2020
- OGRA recommends hike in petroleum prices for January 202006:54 PM | 30 Dec, 2019
- Pakistan asks UNMOGIP to brief UNSC on Kashmir situation07:21 PM | 29 Dec, 2019
- 2020 will be year of development, prosperity: Firdous04:01 PM | 28 Dec, 2019
- Zameen.com launches new Plot Finder tool to facilitate online plot ...07:25 PM | 22 Nov, 2019