19 dead, six injured as cement-laden truck topples in India
According to media reports, the deadly incident happened on a busy highway in western Gujarat state whose roads are prone to fatal traffic mishaps.
Police superintendent RV Asari told media that 19 persons including 12 women, three teenagers and four men were killed when the truck coming from Pipavav Port overturned on the Ahmedabad-Dholera highway.
All the deceased were laborers going to work in fields in Anand district; they were buried under the cement sacks after the truck overturned, he added.
Asari said it appeared that the driver slept which caused the truck to veer off the road and flip over, adding that the police were investigating the causes of this tragic incident.
India has some of the world's deadliest roads, claiming the lives of more than 150,000 people each year and most accidents are blamed on poor roads, badly maintained vehicles and reckless driving.
- State Bank of Pakistan grants EMI License to Finja12:26 PM | 21 Sep, 2021
- Shilpa Shetty's husband Raj Kundra granted bail in pornography case ...12:10 PM | 21 Sep, 2021
- Karachi listed among least safe major cities in the EIU 2021 report11:34 AM | 21 Sep, 2021
- Saudi Arabia once again offers to mediate between Pakistan, India10:58 AM | 21 Sep, 2021
- Info Minister's brother Faisal Chaudhry made NAB prosecutor10:26 AM | 21 Sep, 2021
- Top PR, event management agencies announce Pakistan’s first council ...07:21 PM | 20 Sep, 2021
- Canadian vlogger Rosie Gabrielle wants everyone to know that Pakistan ...05:53 PM | 20 Sep, 2021
- Mathira claps back at trolls with an explosive statement: ‘Don’t ...04:57 PM | 20 Sep, 2021