19 dead, six injured as cement-laden truck topples in India
According to media reports, the deadly incident happened on a busy highway in western Gujarat state whose roads are prone to fatal traffic mishaps.
Police superintendent RV Asari told media that 19 persons including 12 women, three teenagers and four men were killed when the truck coming from Pipavav Port overturned on the Ahmedabad-Dholera highway.
All the deceased were laborers going to work in fields in Anand district; they were buried under the cement sacks after the truck overturned, he added.
Asari said it appeared that the driver slept which caused the truck to veer off the road and flip over, adding that the police were investigating the causes of this tragic incident.
India has some of the world's deadliest roads, claiming the lives of more than 150,000 people each year and most accidents are blamed on poor roads, badly maintained vehicles and reckless driving.
- PSL 6, Match 11, Karachi Kings bat first against Lahore Qalandars – ...06:58 PM | 28 Feb, 2021
- Abdul Sattar Edhi remembered on 93rd birth anniversary06:41 PM | 28 Feb, 2021
- Alhamra events resume with a grand-scale singing contest as COVID-19 ...06:19 PM | 28 Feb, 2021
- Lady Gaga's French dogs returned unharmed06:52 PM | 27 Feb, 2021
- Pakistan up three places to 105th spot in EIU's 2020 Democracy Index11:13 AM | 7 Feb, 2021
- 5 famous personalities who were banned from social media06:51 PM | 3 Feb, 2021
- Hollywood's top female celebs who lift weights to stay fit02:36 PM | 22 Jan, 2021