19 dead, six injured as cement-laden truck topples in India
According to media reports, the deadly incident happened on a busy highway in western Gujarat state whose roads are prone to fatal traffic mishaps.
Police superintendent RV Asari told media that 19 persons including 12 women, three teenagers and four men were killed when the truck coming from Pipavav Port overturned on the Ahmedabad-Dholera highway.
All the deceased were laborers going to work in fields in Anand district; they were buried under the cement sacks after the truck overturned, he added.
Asari said it appeared that the driver slept which caused the truck to veer off the road and flip over, adding that the police were investigating the causes of this tragic incident.
India has some of the world's deadliest roads, claiming the lives of more than 150,000 people each year and most accidents are blamed on poor roads, badly maintained vehicles and reckless driving.
- Four children among seven die in house fire in Muzaffargarh10:28 AM | 17 Oct, 2021
- Pakistan and IMF fail to strike deal once again under $6bn extended ...09:51 AM | 17 Oct, 2021
- Today's currency exchange rates in Pakistan - Dollar, Euro, Pound, ...09:29 AM | 17 Oct, 2021
- Pakistan reports lowest daily coronavirus death toll in three months09:11 AM | 17 Oct, 2021
- Today's gold rates in Pakistan — 17 October 202108:43 AM | 17 Oct, 2021
- Zarnish Khan wants trolls to stop mocking Meera's English09:26 PM | 16 Oct, 2021
- Momal Sheikh leaves fans awestruck with latest pictures03:30 PM | 16 Oct, 2021
- Atif Aslam’s wife Sara Bharwana’s celebrates her birthday in style09:45 PM | 16 Oct, 2021
- India falls to 101 in Global Hunger Index 2021, 9 ranks below Pakistan10:54 AM | 16 Oct, 2021
- Celebrity deaths in 202111:59 PM | 12 Oct, 2021
- Hollywood stars with surprising hidden talents07:11 PM | 13 Sep, 2021
- Celebrities who are gifted athletes05:57 PM | 5 Sep, 2021